cushions, in winter, and how much pink to use?

Previous topic - Next topic

Solstice

A couple of other things to be aware of when it comes to antifreeze.
If you are going to only use the -50 (pink), don't buy it at the Big Box stores or places like Wally World--As Maine Sail pointed out last year, these formulations contain E-Alcohol which is not a good thing. I personally use the -60 for the water lines and the -100 for the engine. However, last season WM started carrying -200 and I used this last year and will again this year--what's great about this product is that it is $5 CHEAPER than the -100. It is in limited quantities so call your store first.
Finally, PS just did a review on potable AF and found both the Pure Oceans (WM) and Starbrite to be best in terms of purity and stated strength...

Phil Spicer

Don't forget to check the manual bilge pump. It should (should) be dry, but you never know. Is the bellows ok? Is there a low spot on the inlet or discharge hose that could hold water? Check it out.
   If your winter cover does not cover all of the transom, tape over the bilge pump discharge. Rain will get in and run to the bilge. Another freeze problem.
   Our water tanks discharge from the side. They never empty 100%.The stb tank isn't bad, but the aft tank... a large surface area that always has a layer of water. Your pink may be diluted 50-50 or more when you put in just 1 gal. Pump the tank.Put in a gal. Pump again. Add 2 more gal. Pump and check with your Thexton, see how many balls are floating.
   If you have a vented loop between the head and holding tank, you need a min. of 1-1/4 gals. just to clear the line between the head and tank.
   Have someone on the ground check for the pink coming out from the shower discharge. You have a vented loop to clear so put some more in the shower drain and run the shower pump again.
   Be sure the engine strainer is full of antifreeze, not water. I always check the color in the strainer and I don't use pink in the engine. I use automotive, catch discharge and check to be sure it's as good as my truck for a cold Ohio, Lake Erie north easter.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

anaisdog

I did the water system but I was buying the WM stuff on sale, that's all

thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Roland Gendreau

The problem with putting pink stuff in the potable water tanks is the flushing required to make it potable again in the spring.

To get around this, I drain the tanks and HWH, bypass the hot water heater and then disconnect the inlet hose to the pump; then let the fresh water pump suck the pink stuff into the system till it comes out all the faucets. About 1 gallon is all that is required and flushing in the spring is very easy.

As for the engine, I drain the raw water from the muffler and heat exchanger before putting the antifreeze in the engine.  That ensures minimal dilution of what gets sucked into the system.

I leave cushions on the boat, but arrange them propped up to let air circulate around them.    We also disinfect the interior surfaces to kill any mold before buttoning it up for the winter.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Footloose

I also do what Roland does.  If a tank is empty it can't freeze.  I also drain the muffler and heat exchanger after I fill them with anti freeze.  To minimize the taste of the non tox I use my wet/dry vac to suck as much out as I can through the faucets.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain