A TRIBUTE to Ron Hill

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

A few of us just received this email from Ron:

Stu, Jack and John : I wanted you all to hear this from me rather than someone else.

Phyllis and I have decided it is time to give up the boat!!  It is scheduled to be moved to Erie Pa in mid May by truck.  The new owners are my Daughter and Son-in-law. The boat will once again be back in fresh water, like it was at Fairfax Yacht Club (upper Potomac) – not all bad!  

There are no untold medical problems, it's just time to move on to other endeavors and not be tied down to a boat.  We've had a lot of fun and adventure with it over the past 25 years and it's time to pass it on to someone else.  They are getting the boat loaded with everything – take on some food/water, start the engine and go sailing!

I'll stay on the C34 net for awhile and may even have another article or two left in me for the Mainsheet.  

Ron

I called Ron this evening and had a great (as always) chat with him.  We've never met in person, we met on the internet, and we got in touch with each other though his tremendous contributions in the Mainsheet followed by the website and this great Forum.

Over the years, I have been approached by skippers who ask this question:

Why is our forum so technical?

One of these days I'll write "The History of the C34 Website"  but it was started in the early or mid-90s by a skipper back east, Bryan Pfaffenberger (sp?) who thought it would be a good idea to share information about the boats.  The original contributors to that static website all provided information to improve and/or explain how the systems on the boats worked. Ron Hill, our technical "guru" is a true hunt and peck typist who has contributed more valuable information about our boats than all the rest of us combined.  He does admit he's not an electrical expert, so some of us have taken up the slack.  

Ron said he'll still be sailing on his now "old" boat and that he'll be providing some "hmm, you might need to do this..." suggestions to his son-in-law and that he'll be visiting his daughter "occasionally."

Most likely during the summer...

Thanks for everything, Ron, and we look forward to seeing you here forever.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I'll jump on this bandwagon.  Thanks Ron for your help in A LOT of projects.  One example is when I put on an electric windless, complete with designing the platform it was mounted on.  You imput made that job sooo much easier and with a muuuuchhhh better outcome.  Thanks Ron, and if you're ever out on the West Coast and want to sail out of Santa Cruz, you've got it!!

Scotty
Scotty

lazybone

I hope Ron continues to contribute to the forum even though he no longer owns a 34.
It would be real loss to the rest of us here if he doesn't.

If we beg enough maybe...
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

lazybone

"Honorary C34 Owner for Life".

Make it happen, Stu.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stephen Butler

I am sitting here in Ashgabad Turkmenistan, in stock.   Ron Hill has contributed so much to the C34 community that it is nearly impossible to think of Ron as a non-C34 owner.  Ron, thank you so much for all the wisdom, suggestions, comments, and care that you have contributed on the decades.  Fair winds to you and your family.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

mregan

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 06, 2014, 07:10:37 PM

he'll be providing some "hmm, you might need to do this..." suggestions to his son-in-law

You forgot to add he'll also finish up his comment to his son-in-law with "....Wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes!!  A thought."   :D

Lance Jones

Ron,
Without a doubt, you have made our life aboard Kitty's Cat so much easier. Whether it was holding my hand as you walked me through my recent fuel, starter, electrical problem or, a helpful hint about a project I was undertaking. For an aviator, your tops in my book! Thanks for all of your help, support and encouragement over the years! :lol:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

David Comando

Ron, your input to this forum has, to me, been invaluable. You and the other frequent contributors have made my ownership of Kindred Spirit easier, safer, and more comfortable. As I quickly approach my retirement after 33 years of teaching, I want this forum to know that since I purchased KS, 11 years ago, I have spent my lunch periods reading this forum. If you are ever on Long Island, let's take a sail!
Ron, and as was previously noted, fair winds...
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Clay Greene

Ron is one of the principal reasons why the C34 website is uniquely valuable to its membership and the community of Catalina owners.  Ron, I won't say you'll be missed because my hope is that you're not moving away from your leadership role on this website. Who knows - now you may have more time to share "a few thoughts" with your fellow owners. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Craig Illman

I've been lurking here more than three years after I sold my boat. I can't imagine Ron just walking away from this forum. What's the point of learning anything if you can't share it with others? Ron has been a treasure of this forum, but I'm sure someone will step up and fill some of this inevitable void.

So, Ron, did you ever replace the pins on your idler pulleys?  :?

Ken Juul

Ron, thanks for the help and freindship.  You know where we live.  Call if you need a C34 fix.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Les Luzar

Ron,
I know that this was a difficult decision, made easier knowing that your C-34 will stay in your family! I guess you will have to visit Erie PA a little bit more often in the summer time! I must say, however, in the C-34 Community, you are a "rockstar." Everybody seems to know who you are! But one thing for sure, you have made a difference in may a Catalina sailors lives on this web-site, including mine! And for that I thank you.  And of course, I wish you good health, good times and many more good friends to share them with.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

paule

Ron,
I will remember always working with you at the booth in Atlantic City and you visiting Annapolis show when I worked for the Catalina Yacht Store.
All the great wealth of knowledge you shared with all of us here will be missed.  There can never be a replacement that could fill your shoes.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Paul and Lynn
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Kevin Henderson

Ron....
THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

Your advice and wisdom on all things Catalina 34 has been invaluable to me.  When I first bought Pau Hana, I felt nervous about all of the various projects and maintenance issues.  Each time I would ask a question to the forum, I would get a reply from you with some sort of little invaluable nugget of wisdom.  or as you so frequently say... "Just a thought".
When I had accidently cracked my Bomar hatch in the Salon and fearing the astronomical cost and fear of replacement, you PM'd me with an offer to buy a spare hatch that you had laying around... (BTW... I bet your inventory of "spare" Catalina parts laying around in your garage is AWESOME!).  Then you followed up with very easy to follow instructions so that I could confidently replace my hatch lens and get back to enjoying my boat.

THANK YOU!

Please do not Disappear from this forum   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Brad Young

A thought.

Ron,

Thank You for all you have done. You have made sailing and boat ownership a lot less scarier.

Thank You

brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84