Route of antenna cable to the VHF radio

Previous topic - Next topic

patchwork

After having our C34 Mk II (hull no. 1437) trucked interstate, I must re-run the radio antenna co-ax from the base of the compression post to the rear of the radio unit, which is mounted above the nav table, just aft of the switch board panel.
Behind that panel at its lower level is a shelf, through which many electrical cables pass through grommeted holes. I can see no obvious path for the antenna coaxial. I would be grateful for advice on the route the coax should take from compression post to radio unit.

patrice

Hi,

In mine, I have a cable that run from the radio to the base of the mast and end there with a connector.
The cable goes with all the cable from the electrical panel and down the settee by the nav table, then under floor to base.

Having a connector, help not to have to remove the whole cable.
I also have all the electrical cables with strip terminal, easy to disconnect.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

stevewitt1

Patchwork

My coax was routed in the storage locker just forward of the black tank, then up alongside the pumpout and vent hose, then turned aft to the back of the radio that is located above the electrical panel in my boat.
If you like good reception and transmission consider routing Belden 9913F7 coax instead of the RG6 stuff.  I replaced the coax in my mast and in the boat and my radio's performance shot through the roof.  Even the low loss white coax, especially if it's RG58 can lose significant signal through 60+ feet of coax.

Just my 2ยข

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  &  www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Patch : The coax cable should take the same routing from the base of the compression post then under the flooring to the Main electrical panel - as the wires for the steaming/deck light and the anchor light.

Just make sure that all of your connectors are for VHF coax cable are rated for 50 ohms rather than TV which is rated for 75 ohms.
Ron, Apache #788

patchwork

Thank you Patrice, Stevewitte1 and Ron Hill,  I have the antenna cable where you  advised and the radio test was 5  by 5 from another station. :