Annapolis Sailboat Show

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm thinking of going to the Annapolis Sailboat Show Oct 6-10th.  This will be my first time to the show.  I would like some recommendations for motels.  Any and all suggestions for anything will be much appreciated.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Bill Asbury

Hi Jim,

The Marriott Waterfront Hotel 410 268 7555 is next door to the boat show, so is the most convenient.
There is also a Loews Hotel 410 263 7777 and the O'Callaghan Hotel within walking distance if you prefer
Irish hospitality 410 263 7700.
Others not in walking distance are a Doubletree, Hampton, Hilton, Hyatt, Residence Inn and Westin, etc.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

We have used Lowe's in the past.  The Marriott is usually booked a year in advance.  We usually stay at the Historic Inns of Annapolis.  One reservation office for 3 hotels.  Lots of B&Bs also.  Catalina usually hosts a nice after the show party on Saturday night.  Garhauer always has a great display with great prices on their gear.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Phil Spicer

Jim: We have found many nice large motels at the BWI airport area,20 or 25 minutes north of the show. Park at the Naval Academy football field ($10) & ride the (free) bus to and from the show. Staying in the BWI area puts us near G & M Restaurant.....The best crab cakes on the east coast! Yes, many good places to eat, but only one place for the best crab cakes. This area also puts you 10 minutes out of Baltimore. Nice harbor tour.
   We will put the show in the middle of a 1 or 2 week east coast trip. Started going to the show about 1990. Since retirement it has become a nice fall trip. We have looked around, and Annapolis is really nice, but staying out at BWI extends the vacation budget. Enjoy the show.
   Just the view from a retired educator.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Jim: Another note. Thursday, VIP day, costs more but less people. Worth the boat bucks. We plan Thursday & Friday.
   Again, just my view.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ekutney

I am from the area and agree with the comment regarding G&M, best crab cakes in the area.  The show is well worth the trip but as stated staying near BWI puts you close to downtown Balt which has many sites to see as well.  Annapolis gets very crowded during the boat show but if you have never been it is a very Nautical town.  After all the US Naval Academy is literally within walking distance of the Boat Show (located at the City dock), lots of shops in the downtown area.  Most vendors have some good deals at the boat show plus there are a number of Brokers as well as manufacturers there, typically they'll have "boat show" specials that are usually 15% off normal prices. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 16, 2016, 06:55:18 AM
I'm thinking of going to the Annapolis Sailboat Show Oct 6-10th.  This will be my first time to the show.  I would like some recommendations for motels.  Any and all suggestions for anything will be much appreciated.
Jim

Nearby?  You're talkin 2017 right?   :rolling
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jim : If you are going to go on boats, then go Thursday. 
If you really want the tents (accessories) then go on Friday.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 18, 2016, 03:00:59 PM
Jim : If you are going to go on boats, then go Thursday. 
If you really want the tents (accessories) then go on Friday.

A thought

If you want to watch a lots of people drooling, then go on Saturday.

I have to add that I love the crowds.  Lots of happy boat people crowded into a small space. It's  the best chance you will have to reconnect to sailing degenerates you haven't seen for a long time.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roc

If you want to get a good deal on something, go on the last day, Monday.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Breakin Away

We go every year by car, but only a day trip.

In the past we have mostly looked and avoided the temptation to spend. Having just upsized, this year we may need to make some purchases.

Does anyone ever try to go by boat? I assume that it is very crowded, and would need to anchor pretty far up one of the creeks. Are there any special considerations? How far away do the water taxis provide service?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ken Juul

I think they service the creeks in the Eastport area east to the bay..  Pick a creek and call one of the nearby marinas, they should know.  Weather can be dicey.  Have friends that have delivered boats to the show for years.  They usually get beat up by weather one way, sometimes both.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : "WX can be dicey" ain't the half of it ----- an one AM I woke up to frost on the deck!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

One of the benefits our location is that we can make a last-minute call based on how the weather looks, and do a car trip from home if preferred. Our prior boat (C250) was near Philly, 2-3 days away by water. Our new boat is in Rock Hall, and my wife has the following week off, so weather permitting we hope to cruise that week and might start out with a couple nights in Annapolis. If weather looks bad we'll just drive.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)