FLUXGATE LOCATION

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

I am about to install an Autohelm 4000. My question is where is the best place to install the fluxgate compass? I know some people have installed the compass in the holding tank compartment. Thanx...... PAUL  "SEAESTA" "766" 1988

Norris Johnson

Mine is one of those in the holding tank compartment and it works much better there than in the middle, aft of the engine.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

rdavison

Mine's in the bilge aft of the mast.  Had to move it there to clear magnetic fields from upgraded battery circuitry in the battery box.  If I had to do it again, I would put it in the holding tank area just because it's drier.

Randy Davison  k7voe

Roc

Mine is located near the holding tank also. This is where it was installed by the factory.  I was initially concerned that it might be too close to the macerator pump, but it seems to work fine with only a few degrees of deviation.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

rirvine

Mine is in the compartment in front of the holding tank on the starboard side - never had a problem with it..

vmenasce

The dealer installed the compass originally under the Nav table on the port side next to the hanging locker. I was experiencing strange behaviour. Every so often, the boat would turn 60 degrees with no notice. At other times, the boat would turn 15 degrees with no notice for, say 10 or 15 seconds and then turn back. I was going crazy trying to control the Auto-helm. Eventually, I figured out that the current draw when the refrigerator turned on was causing a huge magnetic field to confuse the compass. The compass was too close to the cables that run from the panel. Whenever my wife turned on the water, the pump would do the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

So now the flux-gate is in the aft hanging locker on the starboard side. I ensured both the cabling and the compass itself are far from any wires that could induce deviation. Problem solved.

New Moon

We originally mountew ours centered on the rear panel in the aft stateroom low. We had interference problems from the wiring and cables for the helm. We moved the fluxgate about 4" off center to portside and haven't had any problems since.(1 season since installation)

Tom Glennon 354

Paul:

My fluxgate compass is located in the hanging locker, mounted on the aft bulkhead that separates the head from the locker.  No problems after having done the "slow 360" calibration.  My only concern is the wires being snagged or something ..I am thinking of some sort of cover to enclose it from something hitting it.