Opening Port Doesn't Stay Open/Up

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

Anyone know how to fix one of the Lewmar opening ports if it won't stay up in the open position? I've got one that clicks back down a couple notches towards the closed position. I assume the hinges have lost friction or whatever it is that holds them open.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Walt : Hate to tell you, but the mechanism that hold the port open is internal to the port itself and cannot be repaired!!  

Solution - new port !$!
Ron, Apache #788

kwaltersmi

Thanks Ron. Ugh! After researching a bit more it looks like Lewmar does sell a "hinge kit", but I'm not sure if this would fix it or not. I'll have to check what our hinge and access to the hinge is like the next time I'm at the boat.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Walt : The reason I said a new hatch is that's what Lewmar told me. 
If they make a hinge kit I'd sure that the (I'll guess - plastic tab or such) is inside that hinge.  Might just be with a try - if that kit isn't too many $$.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Walt : I reread your post again and yes, Lewmar makes hinge kits for some of their hatches. 
I don't believe that they make hinge kits for their opening port lights!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ghebbns

I have the same issue with my v-berth hatch.  It does appear that they have a retrofit hinge but I was thinking of just adding a generic hatch adjuster.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Stu Jackson

Greg, it's a great idea.  "Retro" look, since it's pretty much what the boats with solid hatches all came with!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

DaveM

Greg. The only problem I had was where to attach the upper in to the lid. I settled through the plexiglass but never comfortable with it because of pushing out. Will be curious with what you come up with.

Goodwinds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Ron Hill

Greg : The problem is as Dave mentioned - where to attach on the hatch.  

In my estimation that hatch is too heavy to use the Plexiglas.  I'm afraid that you will break the Plexiglas to frame seal or crack the acrylic.  (especially if a gust of wind were to hit!)

The 1987 C34s came with a Bomar Vberth (lens) hatch that has an adjusting arm!!  The 1986's have an opaque / gelcoat covered fiberglass! hatch.  
The point is that the 1986 C34 hatch has an adjusting arm mount that is connected into some thing other than a piece of acrylic lens.  

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

The '86 boats had / have a SOLID FIBERGLASS hatch.