Removing lower shrouds shrouds for winter cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I will be covering for the winter with tarps. So I don't have to deal with cutting for the lower stays, I am wondering if it would be okay to disconnect lower shrouds. I would run them to the uppers and bundle together so I just have one stay to worry about instead of 3. Does this sound okay?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Jim Hardesty

My concern would be having the mast pumping in strong winds.  I have placed my hand on the hull of some boats with the mast up and was surprised at the vibration and shaking felt.   I don't think that the mast or boat would fall.  But, would be concerned with the shock loading and the strong vibrations adding to the wear and tear.
And, if something would happen, what would your insurance company say?
Just my thoughts.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mregan

I just covered mine with tarps.  I used a 10w x12l from the mast aft and an 8x6 for forward of the mast.  The 8x6 covers the v-berth hatch and ports.  The 12x10 covers the ports and sticks past the hatch about 2'.  I use bungee cords from the tarp to the stanchions.  The side decks and cockpit are exposed but I had snow accumulate on them last year without any issue.  I cover the engine panel with a waterproof sticky plastic and wrap the pedestal with a large trash bag.
I used this setup last year when I bought the boat and it worked well.  With the tarps tight to the cabintop, you don't get much movement when it's windy and if you do, the bungees give it some flexiblity.  The tarps held up really well last year.  One thing I would recommend is removing the cowlings.  Mine got misshaped from the weight of the snow on them.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Set2sea on November 05, 2013, 01:37:54 PM
Not sure why I wrote shrouds twice? : )

Paul,

Because you have two shrouds on either side?   :clap  Just kidding.

You can also use the "Modify" to edit your posts.

In answer to your OP, I wouldn't.  Those two shrouds are there for a good reason, whether you're sailing or not.  Our boat's in the water year round, but even when not in use, the shrouds are connected.  Think about it that way, and you'll answer your own question.

Good luck, and good advice from Jim and mregan.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Set2sea,

A couple years ago there was a Catalina 30 next to me in the storage yard and he had disconnected the lower shrouds.  During a winter storm, the mast was rocking back and forth (Port to Starboard) about a foot each way.  I'd strongly suggest not disconnecting them.

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

lazybone

Quote from: Set2sea on November 05, 2013, 01:36:41 PM
I will be covering for the winter with tarps. So I don't have to deal with cutting for the lower stays, I am wondering if it would be okay to disconnect lower shrouds. I would run them to the uppers and bundle together so I just have one stay to worry about instead of 3. Does this sound okay?

I'm assuming you have a keel stepped mast.
You have completely removed the sails.
The winter cover does not rely on the mast or boom for support?
Your four uppers have been inspected.

If so the loads acting on the mast from winds alone should be minimal and removing the lowers should be fine.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Andrew Harvey

If your boat is "on the hard" for the winter , I would strongly advise against shroud removal.
There is no flex in a cradle, this will create a lot of stress on the other chainplates etc.
Andrew Harvey

lazybone

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on November 06, 2013, 06:49:58 AM
If your boat is "on the hard" for the winter , I would strongly advise against shroud removal.
There is no flex in a cradle, this will create a lot of stress on the other chainplates etc.

there is no change in the structural loads that the cradle sees and please explain what you mean, the additional loads on the other chainplates?

Interesting discussion
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ed Shankle

Paul,
I have a home made cover, a tarp that I cut and fitted to be reasonably snug. I have holes for the shrouds and stanchions (to get a better pitch on the cover, I take off my lifelines). It really doesn't take that much time to undo the turnbuckles, pass them through the holes and re-connect. While apart, I also take advantage of that and brush the threads clean and spray with WD40. Makes it easier to reattach and do the reverse in the spring.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the turnbuckles should be tightened a bit more when on the hard for the winter to reduce mast pumping. If so, I would think not having all the shrouds attached would contribute to mast pumping. Not a good thing when the hull can't move to counter the stress.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Set2sea

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like the consensus is to not undo lowers. Cutting the tarp to make it past the lowers and to the uppers of course presents difficulty in 1, keeping water out and 2, keeping the tarp from ripping at cut. I have an idea of clamping 2 x 4 from one same side lower to the other just under tarp. That would give me something to screw strapping over the cut to keep water out and keep cut together. Tricky part would be cutting tarp so cut would line up with 2 x 4. My last boat had a single lower that was not too far off of the upper so it wasn't too bad. At my boatyard, we call this "Tarpology" and it becomes a little bit of a contest to see who's tarp/frame stands up the best. All part of the boat yard fun!
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Footloose

FWIW-I just was on a friends C30 with a tarp cover.  He has used the same tarp for the last three years.  With several measurements he and his wife were able to cut the tarp to closely go around the shrouds and mast.  They sewed Velcro to the edges to close it.  Three Vermont winters is pretty good for a tarp.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

patrice

Hi

If you go with tarps, one thing that I do after the tarps are installed.
I take a rope and wrap the boat with the tarps....
I pass the rope over the tarp and under the boat as many times required to go from the front to the back.
It look like the meat you'd buy at the market.
This make the tarp not being blown under by the wind.
This way I can use the same tarps many years.
Usually what ruins the tarps is being ript by the wind.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Andrew Harvey

The issue with the boat in the cradle would become significant in high wind situations. Boat is fixed.. mast flexing is greater.
We have had a couple of boats blow over, cradle and all over they years.
Up here in the frozen tundra ,we typically loosen the shrouds to accommodate the "shrinkage of the stainless ' that occurs in sub zero temperatures

Andrew Harvey

patrice

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on November 08, 2013, 04:58:19 AM

Up here in the frozen tundra ,we typically loosen the shrouds to accommodate the "shrinkage of the stainless ' that occurs in sub zero temperatures

Hi,

Not sure this is a good way of doing it.
It was something that we talk about a few years back with other fellows, and after checking we came up with the situation being;
the coefficient of reaction to cold temperature of the aluminium ( our mast ) VS stainless ( the shrouds ) being higher, making the mast to contract ''shrink'' more than the shrouds.
Actualy, making the shrouds getting slack during our winter temperature, so we should not remove tension on the shrouds.

This is from what we came up with, but not been 'stamp' by naval engineer    :D
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~