M25 XP Engine Block Cylinder Sleeves Slipping? Also Kubota Parts sources.

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc G

I am going to pull my 1987 M25XP for refurb this winter due to coolant in the oil.
I have been speaking to companies regarding cost for a replacement if it becomes warranted during the inspection/evaluation of my engine.  One supplier of a Beta (Kubota block with trans.; $7,700) replacement for my engine stated that with my year and model engine they have found that MANY leaky head gaskets have been due to the cylinder sleeve moving down in the engine block, thus allowing a leak path by the head gasket.
In all my reading on this site I have not seen any entries where this has been noted as an issue?
It would be quite a waste of time and $$$ to do a rebuild with new head gasket, etc. if this is occurring and not recognized!

Any thoughts/ comments or experience with this????
Any dealers for a replacement engine at reasonable cost?

I am also looking for a reliable and reasonably price supplier for the Kubota D950 parts and gaskets for this project.

The rebuild article by David Sanner Queimada #611 was/ is very helpful.

Thanks all...
Marc

lazybone

Unless the kobuto has wet sleeves and O-rings (I've never seen the insides of one)I don't see how that would be possible?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

waterdog

No need to waste dollars.  If you are already pulling the engine, you are only a dozen bolts away from pulling the head.   You can look at the sleeves directly before you even buy so much as a gasket kit.  You may even want to pull the head first before the engine.

I had great luck with a Kubota industrial distributor for parts.  You just have to remember when you are in the marine store you have a m25xp, at the tractor store you drive a b7200 and at the industrial store your equipment is powered with a d950. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Paulus

Might check these people out.  They are very helpful.  Located in Grand Rapids, MI

http://www.aisengine.com
Cool Change 1989 #944

DaveM

Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Ron Hill

Marc : You have already pulled the old engine. 
It is 25 years old - if you do not do a complete & I mean COMPLETE (+all seals) rebuild you are flirting with another failure (and another engine pull)!!   (How many of your auto engines lasted 25 years???)

Been there done that - I'd spring for a new engine/transmission!!   

A thought 

Ron, Apache #788

Marc G

Thank you all for your help.
I decided to pull the engine so I can really get a good look at internals.  The engine hours are 465, and, I was told that it is the actual engine running hours.  Very low hours for an 87 but she was sailed almost entirely in Narragansett Bay, RI, which could justify them. Still, don't really know though. 
The engine actually runs great. I get a full 3000 RPM on it at full power under light load. (I did calibrate the Tach against a digital Tach.) No smoke, no steam. Idles good.  There is no indication of a problem except the coolant loss and the the oil Lab analysis.

Hence I will pull it apart to make sure. Keep me out of trouble this winter....

Thanks for the part Number references. I had no Idea there were 3 Model numbers associated with the M25-XP. (You just have to remember when you are in the marine store you have a m25xp, at the tractor store you drive a b7200 and at the industrial store your equipment is powered with a d950.)

The engine cradle is complete. The welds are nothing to brag about, its been 40 years since I struck and arc and never with a MIG unit.

Pulling the boat next Friday and the engine soon after I get her settled.

I'll keep a post on my project...

Marc