Wrapping the mast

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

Anyone ever wrapped their mast inside the cabin with rope?  I tried a search but couldn't find anything.  My wife would like to add a decorative touch to our keel stepped mast, but doesn't like the vinyl/leather wraps we've seen on other boats.  Just curious to know if anyone has used rope and how it turned out.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Kwalt : Years ago I saw a C34 in Michigan that used 3/8" Manila hemp to wrap the mast below deck. 

It looked quite nautical!
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Another option would be sunbrella or fabric wrap.  I agree with the vinyl/leather, don't like the look too much.

If you bought teak veneer, I wonder if you could wrap & glue it to the mast.

Brent Evans

Hope I didn't post this twice.  Had to resize the photos.  But I did wrap both my compression post and wheel with small line.  See what you think.

DarthOccam

That looks very nice.  I assume you glued the rope ends in place?

I've also seen a treatment where they used a series of half-hitches on the post, which made an interesting spiral patern up the post.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Fuzzy

I would imagine that you would have to be careful not to wrap with something that built up the mast
to a point that it wouldn't pass thru the "hole" (whatever it's called.  Of course this wouldn't pertain
to a deck stepped mast.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Andrew Harvey

We have had 4 spools of hemp or jute rope sitting in the garage for 3 years. Been on the to do list.
This thread will inspire me!
Andrew Harvey

Brent Evans

I had intended to weave in a braid (see above photo) but in actuality it takes a huge length of line to wrap the compression post.  It was struggle enough to handle the coil of line and make a tight wrap.  Maybe I'll redo it sometime; I think I'd have to use smaller diameter line to pull it off.

I didn't glue the ends.  I just tied a knot below deck (in the bilge) and worked my way up tucking and tying it off at the top.  Wish I had a better photo. . . .

Jim Hardesty

Here are a couple of samples of rope work.  One my Yacht Club the other my wheel.  Find what you like then do it.  Just think what happens when the mast gets stepped/unstepped.
enjoy the project
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA