Humming Battery Charger

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

My boat has what I believe is the original Charles Industries C-Charger battery charger.  It seems to be providing a charge just fine, but it produces an annoying hum when on shorepower.  The Guest battery charger I had on my previous boat never made a peep.  Am I just hearing normal charger noise or should I have it check out or perhaps change to a different battery charger?
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

RV61

I had the original Charles and it started the annoying buz and it was then I also noticed it was also getting very hot almost to hot to touch. I took out and replaced.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Footloose

My 2 cent says replace it with a modern 3 stage charger.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Kwalt : Usually the reason for humming - - is because they don't know the words!!  :rolling
Ron, Apache #788

kwaltersmi

Good one, Ron.  :clap

Even if it's functioning "normal", I think I'l follow Footloose's advice and plan to replace the charger this offseason.  I realize the topic has been covered repeatedly here, but anyone have a current recommendation for quality, affordable charger?  We're at the dock most of the week and on the hook for weekends.  We don't have air, so the reefer is the biggest electrical draw on shore power.  I'm thinking a 20amp charger will suffice?
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

RV61

We put in a Guest 20 AMP 2 bank 10/10  with same thought at dock most of week a few years back. Then this year went on a 63 day cruise to north channel and wish I had a higher output charger so I could charge faster from the Honda 2000 generator when living on the hook. Found running the engine the alternator would charge faster. If you think you may live on the hook in the future for any extended time you may want to think about a higher output charger.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

kwaltersmi

After receiving some excellent advise/recommendations from MaineSail on another forum, I'm considering getting a Pro Charge Ultra 20a (~$229 w/ shipping) and trying the installation myself. 
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Andrew Harvey

I replaced the original 40 pound battery fryer with a Xantrex after purchasing the boat in 2001.
Blew through 2 of these pieces of junk in 2 years. Installed a Charles 30A and it has worked flawlessly

Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

You might want to go to the 101 Topics sticky, then Electrical Systems 101 and read about chargers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

I have a Samlex 30a 3 stage 2 bank charger.  Quiet, easy, affordable, made in USA, about the size of a phone book, could not be happier.  I mounted it in the space next to the nav station behind the seat back cushion.  Not the best for ventilation but since the Samlex has a built in cooling fan (that has never run to my knowledge) I have no worries after 2 years.  It makes no detectable heat.  It would be one thing if you pulled the seat back cushion off and a wave of heat hit you in the face, but that simply is not the case.  If you knew you ran both your batts down and then plugged in the shore power cord you would expect some heat... and be smart enough to pull the cushion off and monitor the situation.  I have yet to run my batts all the way down.

Best of luck!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Kwalt : I'd go with the Pro Charge Ultra 30 if I were buying.  Then you'd have a better matched charger if you were to go to 4 golf cart batteries.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788