34 overland

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: bootneck on September 19, 2013, 01:39:29 AM...and some of you suggest modifications, what would be these, don't say a long warp.

OK, no long warp.   :clap

But how about a watermaker?  :D

Here's Steve Dolling's report on a trip to Mexico, with very useful observations.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html

Happy hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

For what it's worth, the Great Loop mariners usually go counterclockwise by heading south in Lake Michigan to the Chicago River, which connects to the Illinois River and then to the Mississippi and ultimately the Gulf of Mexico.  They then follow the Intracoastal Waterway north up the East Coast and come back through the Erie Canal.  I have heard not good things about this trip from people who have done it by sailboat, at least the Mississippi part.  The Mississippi is very congested with barge traffic and there are depth issues along the way.  I think the far more scenic trip from Lake Michigan would be through the Great Lakes to the Erie Canal and then down the Intracoastal Waterway. 

You might want to check out the "Distant Shores" television program by Paul and Cheryl Shard.  They are Canadians who have cruised all over the world in a number of different sailboats.  They have episodes that cover most of your intended territory from the Erie Canal to the Intracoastal Waterway, the Carribean as well as Atlantic crossings.  They have a website and you can buy DVDs of their shows online. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Clay's right, of course no one in their right mind would try to go UP the Mississippi!   :shock:

The point of mentioning the Great Loop was to show that there are waterway courses if one wants to get out of the Great Lakes to the east coast.

I still haven't found Weal Seas' blog, I'll look some more.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

bootneck,

Here it is:  

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1511.0.html

Click on the link in reply #3 from Dan Harrington.

Sorry, the link no longer works.  Why not send Dan a pm?

bootneck

Stu.  Thanks for the link to Steve Dollings trip to Mexico.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html 
A must for every sailor who is thinking of an extended cruise.
We will certainly take note of his observations and the modifications he made.
l have been a fan of Solar Panels. My house here in Spain is powered by them. l would also get a small (300/400w) wind turbine on my boat to keep the batt toped up on cloudy days.
l have  also been in touch with 'Hunter Voyager'  ( yes l know he has a Hunter 34 but we can forgive him for one miscalculation of judgment). He did what we are going to do in 2005 so we should get plenty of good advice.
Talking of other boats. We might have a look at a Catalina 36. anyone got any thoughts?   l know l am on the wrong forum! just wondering!!

Bob.
Once a Royal Marine always a Royal Marine

Stu Jackson

Quote from: bootneck on September 20, 2013, 08:38:48 AM

1.   l would also get a small (300/400w) wind turbine on my boat to keep the batt toped up on cloudy days.

2.  l have  also been in touch with 'Hunter Voyager'  ( yes l know he has a Hunter 34 but we can forgive him for one miscalculation of judgment). He did what we are going to do in 2005 so we should get plenty of good advice.
Talking of other boats. We might have a look at a Catalina 36. anyone got any thoughts?   l know l am on the wrong forum! just wondering!!

Bob,

1.  In all of the many sailing forums I've read, a majority of folks who have purchased wind turbines have eventually ditched them in favor of more solar.  FYI.  Noise and moving parts are the usual causes.

2.  Hunter 34 is a nice boat, a little pointy in the bow for feet to sleep and somewhat more tender than our boats.  Get a lot of them over on co.com.  C36?  What's that?  Oh!  Yes, great boats, too, much like ours except for the layout down below.  I've always been concerned about the steep companionway and the galley "right there" at the bottom, and we love our aft head, but they're great boats with a great bunch of skippers.  Their forum is good, too.

Roc

Of the three "production" boats, Catalina, Hunter and Beneteau....  The Hunters and Beneteaus are lighter (disp, ballast) as compared to a similar size Catalina.   Check out the D/L and SA/D numbers.  Catalina will be able to be more seakindly in higher winds with a higher level of security (IMHO).
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

I think there was a book/movie about 20 years ago about a young man that went around the world in a C22 or 25.  It can be done.  There are so many other options for getting a boat to the Med.....but if you want the adventure, it can be done.  You may want to look at the ARC or one of the other groups that organize mass crossings.  At least you will have some company and the security it brings.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

The ARC goes from east to west on the trade winds that got Mr. Columbus to the islands.  IIRC, there aren't any "rallies" going west to east across The Pond.

Ron Hill

Guys : The young man that Ken mentioned sailed around the world, did it in a Catalina 27.  This spring the guest speaker at our fleet 12 meeting was another young man (25 had is 26th birthday at sea) transited around the Americas in a 26ft sailboat in just less than year

So this stuff can be done, but it takes tenacity and a bunch of luck!!
Ron, Apache #788

bootneck

Sorry to contradict you Stu but the Word Cruising Club goes from Portsmouth VA to Bermuda and the Azores to Portugal in May/June 2014. l think you can join in your own boat or buy a berth in another.

Only 3 production boats Roc! what about a Moody probably the best of the lot 36ft Centre Cockpits my favourite but cant afford one.( got to say that cos l'm a brit ). Don't forget the German Bavaria. One built every 2hrs. Saw a promo video of the Bavaria some years ago. 40ft sailed head long onto a man-made break water. With Kevlar woven into the bows there was only scratches on the paintwork. So they are strong production boats.
Still prefer a Cat though.

Bob
Once a Royal Marine always a Royal Marine