Starter battery switch

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

In reading about the dedicated starter battery, it mentions an automatic switch between + battery and + starter solenoid but, doesn't say what type: rocker, toggle, rotating, light switch, wooden, another solenoid. What type switch is it?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : The switch need to be a heavy duty (to handle amperage).

The switch that I use is a Cole Hersee On/Off switch page 409 West Marine catalog.  There is also a Hella switch with a key that you could use. Also there is a two position battery selector switch on the same page -- so take your choice!!

Hope this helps.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 14, 2013, 06:04:12 AM
In reading about the dedicated starter battery, it mentions an automatic switch between + battery and + starter solenoid but...

Lance, can you be more specific?  "...it mentions..." could be any number of articles.  Do you have a link to the one you are referring to?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I use a rotating on/off switch similar to the 1/2/B/off switch.  Think it is a perko, available at West Marine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

I'm referring to this diagram. I read, not sure where on this forum, that the battery switch needs to open and close only for the duration of the starter button being depressed.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

When you install a stand alone battery as a start or reserve battery, the only time it get turned off is when you leave the boat.  So all the charging sources should be off already.  Not switching between charging destinations so the make before break doesn't matter.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

From what I read, the charging will take place through the combiner that is attached to the main and starter battery banks at the + terminal of the battery so that with the starter battery "turned off", it still gets charged.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

mainesail

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 16, 2013, 04:53:42 AM
From what I read, the charging will take place through the combiner that is attached to the main and starter battery banks at the + terminal of the battery so that with the starter battery "turned off", it still gets charged.

If you isolate the start battery then you leave that switch on when the engine is running.. I really prefer the Blue Sea battery switches to any others as they have undergone more critical testing than just about any other brand..

Also I will not use anything smaller than a 200A fuse on an M-25. Smaller leaves the potential for an eventual nuisance trip.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 15, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
I'm referring to this diagram. I read, not sure where on this forum, that the battery switch needs to open and close only for the duration of the starter button being depressed.

Lance,

That diagram has been superseded.  There is a large BOX at the top of the wiki that says:

Now includes changes to the Echo Charger wiring that moved from the switch to the individual banks (Stu October 2009)
NEW wiring diagram by Walt Tunnessen  March 2010 
VERY IMPORTANT MODIFICATION discussed here on the message board
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6225.0.html

If you look again at that wiki article, an updated diagram is there at the bottom with detailed explanations as to why it has been improved.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Catalina_34_Electrical_System_Upgrade