Leaking fresh water system

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Been living aboard 3 nights a week since we bought our '90 C-34 in mid Jan.  Been gradually fixing things.  The water pump cycles much more than I would expect, even with no taps on.  Found several leaking fittings and what appears to be a leak in the water heater.  I have not pulled the covers off to determine where the leak is from, and at this point it is not bad enough to change the water heater, but my question is.  Should this have been found on the survey?  The boat was surveyed in Spring 2000 for the previous owner and again in Dec 2000 by the same surveyor.  Should he have found the leak?  It is a small trickle along the inboard edge barely visible.  Do I have any recourse to make the surveyor pay for it, or is it not worth the effort.  Thanks for any insight on how to play the boaters game.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

I think surveyors have a disclaimer on their reports that says something like, they are not responsible for anything they have missed, or something to that effect.  Surveying is an interesting business.  I don't think they really need to pass any test or be accredited by anyone.  I may be wrong about that, maybe someone has some additional input.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

oldcatsailor

you should use an a.b.y.c approved surveyor. i also bought 1990 c34 in april. found leaking ck. valve and hot water heater after 23 years it was time for new.i took the teak frame and door off anwas able to wiggle old out and new in.was time to change the hoses as well
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

mregan

Ken
I discovered the same problem this spring with my '86 when I bought it last fall.  Kept getting water in the bilge.  Finally determined the tank had a small leak.  I don't think the surveyor would have noticed it though.  Took me a couple of weeks before I finally figured it out.  There were a couple of other things he missed, nothing big, but stuff you find after you start poking around for a while.  I wouldn't think you would have any recourse.
I think there is so much to look at and the surveyor only has a small amount of time to go through everything.  My surveyor was at the boat for 9 hrs and there were a couple of other things he missed, nothing big, but stuff you find after you start poking around for a while.  I wouldn't think you would have any recourse.

chuck53

Guys, Ken posted this thread 12 years ago.

Ron Hill

Guys : You can find new water heaters on line for under $250.
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Quote from: chuck53 on October 13, 2013, 04:53:01 AM
Guys, Ken posted this thread 12 years ago.

Jeez, you would think he would have fixed it by now.   :D