trip to Portland Maine

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtydirt

hello   leaving from boston     looking for idea"s, places to drop anchor or get a slip  from Kennybunport up to Portland area.  I have
a couple days scheduled in this area.  Thanks

Steve Weiss

There are a number of marinas in Portland and South Portland (they're different towns), some will have moorings, some only slips. If you want to be right in Portland there are DeMillo's and Portland Yacht Services. DeMillo's is more $$$ but a bit more protected and right in the middle of the waterfront area. I don't think they have moorings. PYS is about 3/4 mile walk from the waterfront, it's less $$$ and they have slips and moorings but it's not well protected so you will most likely get a fair amount of chop. But that's where I am and I sleep ok. (Usually)

Marinas in South Portland are the most protected, but they're a ways from downtown Portland and there isn't all that much to do there in S. Portland.  Sunset, Aspasia, South Port, and Spring Point are some that come to mind.

DeMillo's and Sunset have fuel, if that's a consideration.

Here's a google search that will show you where they all are: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marina+loc:+Portland,+ME

dirtydirt

thanks   is it worth going to Long I or Peaks I?

Steve Weiss

I haven't actually been on either, but I think there is more on Peak's I than Long I. A lot of people live there and there are stores and stuff. There is also Jewell Island, which is maybe a couple hours sail from Portland. It's a state park with trails for hiking and is supposed to be very nice (I haven't been there yet either) but I've heard the anchorage gets crowded and noisy. On Sundays there is (or was when I lived in Portland) a reggae festival on either Peak's or Cushing Island, I can't remember which.

Gary

A bit further north and east in Casco Bay from Portland are places in addition to the good ones Steve mentions:

Handy Boat Services in Falmouth www.handyboat.com/photo_gallery.htm. Moorings available with launch service, showers, pumpout, water, fuel, repairs and haulout by travellift. Great restaurant at Handy Boat called Falmouth Sea Grill www.theoldportseagrill.com/falmouth/  Unique inside outside bar and seating. Very cool place. Definitely not the city but has a nice feel and comradery with other sailors and day visitors!

The Cheabeague Inn. www.chebeagueislandinn.com Located on Chebeague Island north and east of Handy Boat by 30 minutes. An island inn with great food, expansive porches, pub menu and moorings for visitors. There is a clam shack you can walk to a short walk from the Inn www.caldersclamshack.com for those not wanting an Inn dining experience. All resources can be accessed from the inn moorings...they have a launch service.

The Goslings. Further north and east by 1 hour but still Casco Bay is The Goslings island chain. The islands form a very protected anchorage with 30-40 moorings that are privately owned but it is the custom to share whatever is available. If an owner shows up just drop off and PU another. In many years of going there this has happened only once....no problem. Quiet, no services but very beautiful. Easy entrance and excellent views and protection. There is a beach at low tide between the islands and camping on the islands if you want to set up a tent. It is very easy anchoring too. Images below of Lux and Kije at The Goslings.

An excellent resource to own is "A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast" just about everything you need to know to find unusual and interesting anchorages.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

dirtydirt

Steve Weiss

As Gary mentioned, the Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast is a fantastic resource. Information on pretty much every place you could think of (and many you couldn't) along the coast.