Lookin to move to a Catalina 400 mark I.What to look for? Engine has 3000 hours

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

How long will the westerbeke 42b last?

Any ideas on what to look for on the 400?

I am going to check it out tomorrow.

I have had my 34 for 10 years now.  What a great boat.  With a 5 and 8 year old I am looking for a little more room.  The admiral wants a centerline queen and likes the layout of the 400.  She didn't like the layout of the 42's at all.
Doug and Donna #171

Tom Soko

Sailingdolphin,
I moved up from a C36 (which I owned for 18 years) to a C400 four years ago.  I'd be happy to discuss this topic with you.  Drop me a note at tjsoko at aol dot com.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi,

I have not been on this Forum long enough to know if you still own the 34.  If so, and you do sell it, please pass on Stu Jackson's name and the C34IA to the new owner.  We need as many 34s "in the fold" as possible.

Good luck on your upgrade,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

scotty

Tom is very knowledgeable.  I also made the switch from a Catalina 34 to a Catalina 400.  I'm really happy with the new boat, although it is a Mark II.  Please feel free to message me also.  Things that I have been told are that the Mk I had a single cable system on the stearing.  The Mk II has two seperate cables.  I've been told that on the Mk I you want to watch that the stearing is tight and well adjusted.  There is some deal with the Westerbeke riser system, but I can't remember.  Try looking at the yahoo group for Catalina 400s.  I think it is in there.  If I remember correctly there was a simple fix by replacing the unit with an upgrade.  I would certainly get an engine survey if I got serious about that boat.  Let us know (or at least me) how it goes. 

Good Luck!
Scotty

lazybone

Nice to see all the old Catalina 34 owners who moved on to bigger and better Mistresses still return to the forum.

No doubt looking for a little love.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Clay Greene

If the centerline berth is a key factor, you might consider the C380/C387.  We love our new (to us) C387, although we have the athwartship bed in the aft cabin.  My guess is that you will find more of the C380/387s out there than the C400 plus you can probably find a newer one with fewer engine hours for the same price as the C400.  I also like the fact that our beam is only seven inches more than the C34 so it is a very comfortable boat to maneuver in close quarters. 

But you definitely won't find a better owner's association or website than the C34. . . .
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

davidjsailor

I have a C400 MKII 2005 in great condition and lots of extras for sale in Connecticut . Would love to chat with you candidly- no pressure!!.If you are interested please contact me at dnisaacs@verizon.net