Propane stove connection

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

Was attempting to connect my propane stove today and came across a little problem.  This is my first propane stove (have always had alcohol) so not sure of the proper setup.

I am pretty sure I am ok on the tank side (have a regulator and solenoid).  My problem is on the connection to the stove.  The supply hose was already plumbed right to the stove but was not connected.  I thought it would be straightforward to connect the female end of the supply hose to the male connection on the stove - not so much.  I can get 1-2 threads but that is it.  It seems that either:

1) different thread types
2) different sizes (although they must be very close)
3) the threads of one or both of the connectors are screwed up (although they don't look it)

Is there usually anything between the supply hose and the stove?  If I get to the boat tomorrow I will try to take some pictures to help explain.

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

mregan

Maybe the stove was set up for CNG?  Not sure if the fittings would be different.  My '86 had a CNG stove.

Mike Dervin

Most gas connections have "reverse threads" requiring you too turn in an opposite direction to tighten and loosen. Possibly the male/ female connection is not designed for gas connection?

Jim Hardesty

I've not piped a stove, so this is just from someone who knows some about threads.  On the hose it's a female flair fitting.  It seals on a cone/flair not the threads.  From your description the stove has a male taper pipe.  You just need an adaptor.  One end with a female pipe to fit the stove one end a male flair to fit the hose.  Any good hardware store should have one.  I would use pipe dope on the threads and check and double check for leaks.  Not seeing the fittings this is just an educated quess.   Good job realizing that things were not right and not forcing things.
Hope this helps some.
Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Greg : It sure would be helpful if you'd take a picture of the 2 fittings that you are trying to mate.

Another thought is to take your fittings to a RV place in your area that fills propane and I'm sure they can help.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Thanks for all the responses.  Jim hit the solution perfectly.  Home Depot had the adapter I needed so it was a quick and easy fix.  Appreciate all the help!!!

G
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP