paint advice and recommendation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

While my mast boot is watertight and does not need any attention, the aluminum base plate just below is in need of some paint. (Attached image).

Should I paint both, the base plate and the boot?  Or only the base plate.

Also what paint recommendations should I use.

As always... any advice is much appreciated.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : Don't paint the boot!!  The best thing you can do is to make a Sunbrella cover that will cover both!

I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes back in the early 1990s on how to do it - with pattern measurements.  Maybe our librarian will give you the exact link so you don't have to read thru the old tech notes. (and also learn much more about a C34)

A few thoughts  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Kevin, the Mainsheet article I wrote about resealing the saloon hatch has the paint specs in it, the last published issue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Kevin, sorry, I just realized that I did have the text of that article with me (we're on vacation in Europe):

I purchased two kinds of paint:  Napa Colorline fast dry rust preventative interior & exterior white gloss (spray), and ACE Rust Stop indoor/outdoor oil based enamel High Hiding white gloss (brush).  We found the inside frame of the glazing section which would have required the brush paint was OK and did not need new paint.  The inside bottom frame and the outside of both frame sections were easier to spray than hand paint.  
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."