Anchor roller

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Now that I have my anchoring question answered I have a question about mounting my new Manson on the "toy roller" which is on the boat.  I have a 1986.  I read a bunch of posts and have seen pictures so I know the anchor will mount on the roller. My question is: how do I get it to stay in place.  Never had a bow roller on my C-30.  Always kept the anchor in the locker which was a pain.

Could I drill a small hole through the anchor and use the current pin on the roller to hold the anchor in place?  I'm assuming the anchor is galv. plated.  I'm thinking if I drilled through the galz plating would be compromised around the hole and would lead to future rusting?

I've seen pictures where others have tied a short length of rope from the pulpit to the anchor.  I can see how that keeps the anchor on the boat but does the shank bounce around?

I've seen a couple of boats at my marina who removed the roller pin and install what looks like a boom bail which would keep the anchor from bouncing out of the roller.

Depending on what others think I was thinking of using the boom bail idea on the roller to keep the anchor from bouncing out of the roller while sailing.
To keep the shank in place I was thinking of installing a u-bolt in the anchor locker with a piece of s.s. cable.  One side secured around the u-bolt, the other side with a hook or caribiner.  When the anchor is pulled up and snug in the roller, I would attache the hook/caribiner side to a link in the anchor chain to keep the anchor from falling back in the water.

Thoughts, suggestions.

Stu Jackson

I installed a cleat on the pulpit and just tie the line to the pulpit, run it to the roll bar and then back to the cleat.  We've been out in some heavy seas and the anchor simply doesn't "bounce around."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : there are a number of ways to secure an anchor in the bow roller.

The most popular way is to add a pin and bracket in the anchorwell so the pin goes thru the center of a link in the anchor chain.

Then I use a shock cord tightened to keep the pin secured anchor from wiggling around and wearing the roller it sets in.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

I also put a boom bailer on the end of the roller to keep the anchor rhode in place.  It worked fine.  I placed a anchor pin in the anchor locker and it kept the anchor in place.  On my current boat I use a anchor snubber, which is basically a hook attached to a line.  The hook goes around the chain.  Then I tighten up the line and the anchor is pulled tight.  You need a cleat inside the anchor locker, but I like this system.
Scotty