Anchor/anchoring

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Read a bunch of older threads on anchors in the Anchoring 101 and decided to upgrade the Danforth which came with our '86 to a Manson Supreme.  From what others had said, you needed to watch out backing it down because it would stop the boat short.  Used it for the first time this weekend and must not be doing something right.

Would throw the anchor overboard, in soft mud, 20' of 5/16" chain attached, let out about 2/1 scope.  Let boat drift with current.  When it seemed the anchor was slowing us down/starting to set, my wife would put in reverse and start giving some throttle.  We would immediately start to drag.  Tried this a couple of times same result.  Ended up throwing it over, letting us drift with the current until the boat stopped, then let out 6/1 scope and held all night.

Next day different anchorage, same soft mud bottom.  Threw anchor, chain, and about 3/1 scope in rode, immediately put in reverse with some throttle and started dragging.  This happened a couple of times.  Ended up re-setting and just drifted until anchor set.  Sent out 6/1 scope.  Held for 3 days in up to 20-25 knot winds.

What's the best way to get the anchor to set.  Do I let out the rode to the scope I want.  When the boat feels like it's set then put in reverse with some throttle?

Ron Hill

mre  : What you might want to try is to have your 1st Mate put the engine in reverse at no more than 1500rpm.  Look at the bank and you'll see when the anchor stops the boat. 
Then give some rpm to let it really dig in .  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Your cheating on scope.  7 to 1 should be your minimum and adjusted upwards depending on weather.

Pay out your rode quick enough so that it doesn't drag until you reach the right scope.  Don't pay out the rode so quick that it piles up on itself.  There should be a light tension on the rode as the boat drifts back.

Edit:  scope is measured from the deck and not water depth.

Everyone knows this stuff already but I thought I would mention it again (sorry).
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Fred Koehlmann

Pretty much what Lazy Bones says. The Power & Sail Squadrons teach 7 to 1 scope, but I have been able to minimize it to 5 to 1 in some instances ( i.e. with a kellet). The weight of your rode is also important (i.e. chain versus rope, and how much chain).

I also assume that when you say "throw" the anchor, that this is a figurative explanation and not what you actually do? Since the danger of throwing the anchor (if you could actually toss 35lbs) is that you will get our rode wrapped around it and I will not set. We always lower it and when I touches bottom, we either drift back or motor slowing in reverse, paying out the rode to the required length. hen cleat it off, and then gradually apply reverse pressure. I often rest may hand on the rode, because what is happening below gets telegraphed up the rode. You can fell it slide, bounce and set.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mregan on July 07, 2013, 03:57:53 PM

Would throw the anchor overboard, in soft mud, 20' of 5/16" chain attached, let out about 2/1 scope.  Let boat drift with current.  When it seemed the anchor was slowing us down/starting to set, my wife would put in reverse and start giving some throttle.  We would immediately start to drag.  Tried this a couple of times same result.  Ended up throwing it over, letting us drift with the current until the boat stopped, then let out 6/1 scope and held all night.

mr, you missed the point.

You do NOT " throw it over", you should let it gently drop until to "feel" the bottom.  THEN, and only then, do you let it out some more.

I anchor out twice a week, in sometimes high winds.

You need to learn to "feel" the bottom.

I have 35 feet of 1/4" chain on a 1/2" rode.  I let the chain out as the boat is drifting back on the wind and/or current.

I let out another 20 feet of rode.  Depending on how strong the wind is and how fast the bow is drifting off, I snub it or let another 10 feet out.

Do NOT goose it into reverse UNTIL your anchor is set by the wind and/or current.

You'll "feel" "THE GRAB" - that's why the BIG middle cleat is there.  :D

Good luck, feedback appreciated.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Didn't think everyone would take me so literally.  I don't throw the anchor over.  I let it out with the 20' of chain and usually another 15'-20' of rode.  We usually are anchoring in 18-20' of water.  Put one wrap around the cleat.  Let the boat drift until the line starts to tighten.  Then let out the remainder, little at a time to get between 5 to 7 scope.  Depends on how full the anchorage is.  Then wrap around the cleat.  Once it's all out and starting to pull on the cleat, I tie it off.  Been doing this for 5 years.   Only dragged once with the old Danforth on my C-30.  We've been starting to go to another spot where we can shift 180*.  Was reading how the Danforth has trouble re-setting so I figured I'd try the Manson.  Everyone seems to have good reviews of it.
Next time we anchor I'll try letting it set then put in reverse.

Stu Jackson

mr, we can only respond to what you've written, don't know what you know or don't know.  I anchor in 12-15 feet of water.  20 feet requires, as I now you now know, a tad more rode.

I find that if I "find" the bottom with the anchor, and it is WINDY out there, that I let more scope out before I snub the rode.

ONLY go in reverse AFTER the hook is set with the full rode you intended to deploy already out.  Let the wind do ALL the work at "first bite."

Good luck, sounds like you know what you are doing.  As it said in that Anchoring 101 Topic, when it pulls you off the bow, you'll be glad you have that anchor.

You're right about Danforths not resetting.  Be happy.  You have a very good anchor.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : The usual technique is to "hook" the anchor first and then to "set" the anchor with the appropriate scope next.

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

as long as we are on this subject, how long can we consider a anchor rode to last, mine is 8 years (summers) old, I think it is 3/8", I also have 30 feet of 5/16 chain, does the rope rode  deteriorate with time? I am also not sure what manufacture is
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, something sounds way mismatched.  3/8" rode with 5/16" chain, for example.  What size and type of anchor do you use.

I continue to encourage skippers to read the "101 Topics" sticky.  It includes this one:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.htmlhttp://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400

That should help you figure out what you need.

As far as age of the system, the biggest question would be how often do you use it.  We anchor out almost every week for one or two nights.  Our system gets a LOT of use, and I check it regularly.  With anchor rodes, if it gets used less, say for marina hoppers, it will last longer if hosed down regularly if you sail in salt water.

Ted Pounds

I think Fred and Aldo made the important point:  you need to let out a LOT more rode.  For 20' of water you should have 140' out before you snub it.  Do that and it will set almost every time...

Bob, the rode can last forever if you protect it from chafe...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Bob : The usual rode size for a C34 is 1/2" diameter.

I have gone to the braid on bread nylon because the 3 strand nylon gets too stiff over time.  
I also had Defender place second splice w/thimble at the other end right away.  That way you can end for end your 200 ft anchor rode after years of use!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788