installing salt water galley spigot

Previous topic - Next topic

fulvio

I want a salt water spigot on my galley sink, in order to conserve fresh water while cruising.  There is a pop-off cover on a hole right next to the main faucet that seems made just for that.  I've already routed a hose from the head sink drain through-hull to the foot-pump (that used to be for the reefer).  And I've already bought a spigot that fits through that hole.  The double sink is the original one.

The problem I'm facing is that the space below the divisor between the two sinks is too narrow, and reaching up to it is nearly impossible from either the water heater door, or the under-sink drawer opening, in order to slip on the hose and tighten the hose clamp.  So it seems this installation will require lifting up the whole sink.  My question:  how is the sink attached to the counter?  Is it just caulking?  Any tips on how to remove it?

Thanks!
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

fulvio

I searched before posting, and I saw those already, but they don't answer my question:  how to lift the sink?
I don't want to cut an access port.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Stu Jackson

Fulvio,

The second link to Captain Al's counter replacement includes this:

Carefully pry sink up and out. Edges will bend!!!!! NOTHING HOLDS IT BUT CAULK. Shoot the person that sealed it with 5200. If it will not pop out you can wait and take it off, counter and all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Fulvio,
When I took mine out, it was just caulked and I was able to use a putty knife to get under the edges or an old metal spatchula(or pancake turner if I didn't spell it right) with the leading edge bent about 90 degrees to get into the tight spots where you don't have enough room to get a putty knife into, then you should be able to lift it out, maybe even enough to connect the new salt water spout without disconnecting the other plumbing.
BTW, my boat had a seperate through hull fitting just for that located just a little forward of the other through hulls under there.
Hope that helps.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Fulvio : I replaced my "salt water" spigot a number of years ago with a new replacement from Catalina.  Their part# was F60077 and at that time it was only about $15. It is made by "Whale Co".  You can ask Whale or Catalina direct.  I'm sure that Whale still makes it and then order it from Defender.

As I recall I removed the old one and easily installed the new one by removing the small drawer and frame so I could get at the underside of the sink.  No need to remove the counter top!
All you need to do is pop off the plug between the two sinks set it in and there is a plastic nut that tightens from the bottom. The spigot has a barb that's for a 1/2" hose and the tube can be raised or lowered - about 3 inches so it can swing from sink to sink.

My separate Whale foot pump was already installed, but you could "T" or "Y valve" into the Whale foot pump for the ice box and if you need a salt water source you could "T" into the sink drain. 
I already had a thru hull for that salt water spigot.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

fulvio

Thanks, all.

Ron:  Sounds like your part #F60077 might have been similar to this one:  http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2019&ParentCat=324

If so, I can see the advantage over the one I got:  the 1/2" hose barb looks to be almost 1 foot below the rim of the sink, thus easily accessible from the drawer opening, like you said.

Contrast to the one I got, which is similar to this:  http://www.fisheriessupply.com/fynspray-angled-swiveling-galley-spouts
Except I believe I did not pay that much for it.  You can see that the barb and the tightening nut are only an inch away from the opening on the sink rim, and almost impossible to reach from below.

I think I will return the spigot I bought and order the one from catalinadirect, saving myself the hassle of prying the sink out of the counter.

By the way, I do not have a separate through-hull in the galley area, other than the sink drain.  That's why I ran a hose from the head under the cabin sole to the foot pump, which seems fine.

I'm going to start a new thread now on something I learned in the process of installing this hose, regarding the head pump efficiency.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Ron Hill

fulvio : Yes, that's the one.  Run the hose under the head if you want, it makes no difference where you get the salt water from.  However, it's better if it's from a thru hull plumbed for 1/2" hose.  

The best is to add another thru hull.  My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Suprised that Fulvio doesn't have a salt water thru hull in the galley area. Was that optional? My earlier hull has one.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Yes, Ed, it was an option.  We don't have one.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:1985pricelist.jpg

Look under the Interior options.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I too thought it may have been standard on the '89s even though it wasn't on the '86s.
It;s harder to find than the others.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : If you look at the page 4.3.1 in your owners manual titled "Thru Hulls", you'll see that the salt water thru hull is labeled OPTIONAL

A thought
Ron, Apache #788