CA Boat Registration Requirements - permanently affixing numbers

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

This questions is targeted specifically to Canadian boaters that have their boat registered rather than licenced. We opted to register Dolphina, and there is one requirement that I have lagged in completing, which is the affixing of the numbers permanently to the hull. As the requirement states:

"Both the official number and registered tonnage shown on the Certificate of Registry must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least 4 cm high on a clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The registered tonnage must be preceded by the abbreviation "N.R.T." and the official number by the abbreviation "O.N.". These numbers must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area."

The later part makes me think that I should be epoxying the numbers/sign to the hull. I figured the storage area behind the port settee would work fine; just pull the back rest and you can see it through the cubby opening. What I'm not sure about is what to make it out of. I was going to make a mould and build it up from epoxy and glass (kind'a work intensive for my liking) or get a plastic sign from some place like http://www.technisoft1.com/Engraved_Plastic_Signage.html.

I'm curious how others have resolved or completed this ministry requirement.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

cmainprize

Hi Fred, you could always take a similar approach as the factory did under the v berth.  Looks like the just put one layer of fiberglass cloth over a "sticker" with the hull # and info on it. 

I have considering registering our boat as well, two reasons, first I could take numbers off the bow and if I was to sell the boat I believe it would be a benifit to the new owner from a tax implication.  As you know when you sell a boat in ontario when the new owner goes to licence it they pay 13% in tax.  It is my understanding this does not happen when ownership changes when you register the vessel.  Are you aware if this is correct.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ken Juul

The PO that originally registered the boat used vinyl letters like are used for boat names/logo's.  Put a thin coat of epoxy or resin on top of them. They are placed under the seat in the aft cabin.  The hull there has a rough finish, any attempt to paint over would be very obvious.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve W10

Fred, I hope this isn't high jacking your thread too much but curious why you choose to register?

Is going south with a licensed boat that big a deal?  Or was it for peace of mind on ownership / liens?

I choose not to based on hassles...
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm#ports
but I guess it's not really that bad, as outlined here....
http://boating.ncf.ca/license.html

And I guess if you didn't want it registered anymore, you can just let the thing lapse and not pay to have it de-registered.

I'm pretty sure that there are no tax benefits to registering, but there are some fees ($250 initially and $150 for transfer to new owner).

Just curious.

Steve

Ted Pounds

Same rules apply to US registered ("documented" is the usual term.) vessels.  Do a search on document(ed) and you find an old thread on this...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

tonywright

I haven't registered mine - just licensed in Ontario, but she was originally documented in the US. The numbers were on the back wall of the lazarette. Looks like the easiest place to put them - lots of access to work. I think that they were just stencilled on in red paint and then clear-epoxied over.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Fred Koehlmann

The admiral suggested the same idea of just applying  the numbers and then clear epoxy over it. However in my mind this does not comply with the later part of the requirements. If someone painted over, you wouldn't know that anything was beneath it. You could have just painted the hull interior. I'll admit that the requirements are more targeted to commercial vessels where they might have the numbers welded on so that removing it would require grinding it off, so it would be really obvious, but unfortunately the government has not distinguished between us pleasure boaters from the commercial boaters.

As to why we went with registering the boat... sure there is the look of not having the number on the vessel, and that when on the VHF you really are that vessel, but we are also on the Great Lakes and we've heard from others that if you travel to the USA it is somewhat easier than if you are just licensed. There is also that it is registered to you. Yeah, it cost more than a license (which is free), but as long as you own the boat it's a one time cost.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

scotty

To meet the US documentation requirement, I epoxied the numbers into a flat section of the bilge.  It is slightly raised because of a thick layer of glass, and several top layers.  To paint over would make it quite different in appearance, and the raised section makes it stand out.  This method is commonly used in SF bay, according to a variety of people I talked to.
Scotty

Julian Elliott

As others have stated, I used vinyl letters with a coat of vanish applied.  Placed on inner hull inside port lazzarette, so is readily accessible in the cockpit if required to produce it.  Haven't had any situation where officialdom has tested its appropriateness, but I consider it meeting the specs.