Replacing Stove w/Microwave and Cooktop - Ideas?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hi all,
We have never used our alcohol stove on our boat. We basically day sail with an occasional short trip to nearby harbors.  My wife does not envision ever using the oven, and would likely use the cook top very infrequently.  Probably only when at the dock, where AC power is available.  We also have access to a large gas grill right at the end of our dock. 
I'm looking for ideas if any of you have had similar situations and made changes.  It would be nice to use the space where the stove is.  I'm considering removing the stove, installing a microwave in the lower section and putting in a shelf for a cook top (either a portable propane/butane, electric or induction), and a filler piece to expand counter top space when not in use.  If anyone has done this, I would appreciate your thoughts and pictures if you have any.  Also, it would be good to hear the thoughts of any of you on this concept.  I would keep the stove and the ability to re-install if my needs change in the future, or for resale of the boat someday.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ted Pounds

" I would keep the stove and the ability to re-install if my needs change in the future, or for resale of the boat someday." 
Keeping the above in mind I think it's a great idea.  :thumb:  I'd guess that the next owner probably wont want the alcohol stove, but would want to put in a standard propane or CNG stove/oven.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Mike : I'm sure there are propane cook tops available. 
Just about all of us have the Seaward Hiller Range for propane or CNG !! (2 or 3 burner w/oven)
Ron, Apache #788