Xantrex charger question

Previous topic - Next topic

Julian Elliott

I am replacing my 30A Charles 5000 battery charger on my 2005 MkII with a Xantrex TruCharge2.  Currently have the Catalina OEM configuration of 2x 4Ds in a 1-2 configuration, but intend to parallel them and add a reserve/starting battery.  Plan to have a Blue Sea ACR relay for isolation between banks.

What Xantrex do folks use -- 20A or 40A?  I thought 40A would be needed (or just desired) but in addition to the added $$, I'll need to upgrade my DC wiring (to 8#).  Also, Xantrex recommends a min 80aH per battery bank with the 40A charger, which is high for a starting battery.  I've also heard the 40A can have greater EMI issues.  These last 2 items worry me.

I don't have a particular need to have fast ac shore charge (on the hook is a different issue for another day).  Saving a couple of hours charging may not be worth the hassle or $$ unless there's a reason...

Comments welcome.

Julian

Jim Hardesty

Last season I installed a Zantrex TruCharge2 20A with the battery temperature sensor.  I found no reason to have the remote control.  Went with the 20A because I have no need for quick charging and was concerned with the space and heat/ventilation requirements of the larger unit.  The installation was real simple and easy.  With the temp sensor did notice that my winter battery topping up was much much quicker.  I have the OEM configuration of 2x 4Ds.  With my use see no reason to change at this time.  I am pleased with my choice.
My memory may be wrong.  I think that Zantrex has the option to combine 2 chargers and use as 1.  That may be an option if fast charging becomes desirable.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mainesail

There are other options out there in chargers and I would strongly suggest you at least consider them.

Consider the Sterling Pro-Charge Ultra or the ProMariner Pro-Nautic P. Also the Mastervolt chargers have been quite reliable. These are all excellent chargers. Perhaps the bugs have been worked out of the TC2 units but I no longer install Xantrex chargers other than the simple and inexpensive 10TB and the occasional Freedom series IC, when a customer demands it...

In the last three weeks:

Replaced a dead Xantrex Link 2000 (this was the second failed Link 2000)
Replaced a dead Xantrex Link 2000R (with alt regulator)
Replaced a dead Xantrex Freedom 25 (third time it has failed on the owner)
Replaced a Pro-Sine IC (remote had already failed the owner once)

This is just three weeks of Xantrex issues in my job...... :cry4`

I have had enough issues with the TC 2 series chargers that I will no longer install them. In one of them the fan was literally running backwards. No idea how on Earth that even happens, but it did. Poor customer (he installed the charger) was on the receiving end of a large trouble shooting bill on that one with no reimbursement from Xantrex what so ever........ Try figuring out the fan is running backwards and is what is causing the over heating issue.... Why would you even suspect it..... Doh'......
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Footloose

Mainesail,

What do you recommend for a portable charger.  I am not allowed to leave my batteries on the boat in the winter and need to maintain my batteries through the winter at home.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

2ndwish

Also considering a new charger. Mainesail- Is there a strong reason to pick the ProNautic charger vs the ProSport chargers on our boats? Our new bank will be 300 AH and will unlikely ever be larger than 400 AH. Thanks

Jim Hardesty

Oups...One of the reasons I got a Zantrex is that they were so highly thought of by people here.  I guess things change.  I must have gotten lucky.  Mine works well, but after Mainesail's post I'll be checking it out often.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

AT Phillips

I have a Xantrex Truecharge40+ still in the box from the PO.  He said he just never got around to installing it.  I was planning to install it since this unit was made in 2009, but it sounds like I'll be looking for trouble.  I assume I'd be better of installing a more preferred charger.  Am I being too cautious? Adam
Adam Phillips
1991 Catalina C34
"Rising Sun" Hull #1115, M-35
Chesapeake Bay

mainesail

Quote from: 2ndwish on May 31, 2013, 08:19:12 AM
Also considering a new charger. Mainesail- Is there a strong reason to pick the ProNautic charger vs the ProSport chargers on our boats? Our new bank will be 300 AH and will unlikely ever be larger than 400 AH. Thanks

Not even in the same league... The ProNautic P is a beautiful, well designed, well engineered "smart" charger and the ProSport is built to a price point and intended for small banks on bass boats... They lack adequate cooling for charging large banks, due to being "waterproof" and I have seen a number of them cook themselves when used for the wrong purpose...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

2ndwish

Thanks- Just the sort of information you don't get from a WM salesperson (they had recommended the ProSport). Indeed, they put the ProNautics where they couldn't be found and suggested they cost more and offer little.
T

lazybone

Quote from: AT Phillips on June 01, 2013, 04:42:33 AM
I have a Xantrex Truecharge40+ still in the box from the PO.  He said he just never got around to installing it.  I was planning to install it since this unit was made in 2009, but it sounds like I'll be looking for trouble.  I assume I'd be better of installing a more preferred charger.  Am I being too cautious? Adam

Have the 40 installed in Lazybones since 2007 with no issues.

Don't worry so much. :D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Mick Laver

AT Phillips
If your charger is a Xantrex 40+ (not the "2") I'd definitely install it. I had one for 9 years on my 30 with a two Gp 27 house bank (~200 Ah) and it worked flawlessly. When I got the 34 it came with Xantrex 20+, which has worked fine but is a bit underpowered for my current house bank (450 Ah). I went looking for a 40+ and was dismayed to find they were no longer made. An electronics installer I've worked with echoes Maine Sail's comments: the new Xantrex models are crud, and he won't install them.

The old models are yellow. If that's what you have you've got a rock.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

mainesail

The older yellow TC units were better than then new TC 2 and more robustly constructed. I like the 20A a lot better than the 40A as the fans in the 40A do tended to fail. Still even with a dead fan they can charge for a while before shutting down on thermal conditions...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Julian Elliott

Interesting perspectives.  Two points don't make a trend, but I've had 2 Xantrex 20+ chargers in other boats; both worked flawlessly (one replacing an older ProMariner).  I'd now need a 40A Truecharge2, and had understood it was highly rated by Practical Sailor (altho heard of this 2nd hand).  Maybe not...

I have the Xantrex unit, altho can return if I wish. Frankly, I'd probably go forward with it, but I do like that the ProNautic P has a 30A version, enough power for me while allowing "plug & play" without the hassle of upgrading wiring.  However the dimensions listed in their materials are inconsistent; the "larger" spec won't fit the location under the sink without surgery.

I'll confirm dimensions tomorrow. It is interesting to note that Xantrex certainly has a more "friendly" look and feel in their materials for us civilians.  Power of marketing.

Terry Forshier

I installed a 40 A truecharge 2 a few years ago  (4 or 5) and it has worked very well for me. Before that i went through severl other chargers.  I keep the boat in the water year round and keep the frig on. I bought trucharge 2 because of ratings on this board. It has been good to me.