No thermostat

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

As I had expected (and commented on prior post) when I took off the thermostat housing (M25-XP), I did not find a thermostat in place!
Oh did I forget to mention I snapped both M6 screws in the process? On my way out to the tool store to get a screw extractor, I spoke with my buddies that have a C34 same year, they told me their thermostat housing was thru bolted (Not tapped as mine was, hex head cap screw and nut). Once I found that out, I said screw trying to get the screw out and perserve the threads (even though I was thinking of opening up to 1/4-20 thread), I am going to drill out the screw and thru bolt it. It wasn't easy drilling out screw but going slowly I managed to drill out and stay fairly straight.
Just wanted to pass that along incase someone else runs into this. For the record, we had one screw that broke with quite a bit of screw sticking out. We heated up the water flange (part that the female thread was in) with an oxy acetylene torch and the broken screw still wouldn't turn - Aboslutely welded in!
After running engine with a thermostat, the temp came up to 160 within about 8-10 mins.
A lot of low hanging fruit on this new C34 of mine!
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma