Varnish on deck

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

So, some yahoo in our boat yard decided to use a heat gun to strip old varnish off his boat and unfortunately he did so upwind of us when our cover was off. So, we have little orange flecks that are not coming off the nonskid with typical cleaning supplies. Any ideas on how to remove these spots without marring the nonskid? Thanks.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Find the yahoo and borrow his heat gun.  I just got a heat gun for a present and find it very useful.  Wax over where you rub the crap off.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Why is it varnish only permanently sticks to the stuff you don't want it to?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

You could try the stickey side of duct tape.  Or, well aimed pressure washer.  Want to keep the stream away from your bright work and any thing where you could start a leak, chain plates, port lights, hatches and such.  May be you chould borrow one of the small electric ones.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Clay : Try some Softscrub w/bleach with a toothbrush on the anti skid.  I use it all the time on the white anti skid in the cockpit. A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

Ron, I had the same good idea about Soft Scrub and the toothbrush but it made no difference.  What did work was Krud Kutter and a very small flathead screwdriver.  5 hours later and almost back to where it was before.  Grrrr........

Roc

Mineral Spirits wouldn't work?  When I bought a new front door (fiberglass) the door company instructions said to clean it with mineral spirits before staining.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

Mineral spirits probably would have worked as well.  Krud Kutter is for brush cleaning so it is probably pretty similar.