Rust spot removal

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I removed the original window curtains and tracks.  There are rust stains around the screw holes.  Is there anything I can use to remove the rust spots?  If not I may just cover the holes with short screws and finish washers.

stevewitt1

There are products out there.  I've had good luck with Iron Out.  It is available at your local Piggly WigglyI
Ok, I guess you can buy it all over.  I member at my club had a huge rust stain down his transom on his 33' Cruisers from a cheap dockside water fitting.  It's all gone as of Sun and when I asked him what he used he said just oven cleaner.  We used to use oven cleaner to remove painted boat names before vinyl came around.  It doesn't soften the gel.  But, But, But, But test a small spot always.
Steve

Bobg

Rust Stain Remover by Whink, 16 fl oz brown bottle, works really well, if you leave a piece of metal on your boat that rust stains, it will wipe it right off, safe on pipes and septic systems, get at most hardware stores walmart ect.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

FSR, blue gel.  Works great.  Do not use On & Off - nasty stuff.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : To get rust stains off the gelcoat/stainless, you can also try "Barkeepers Friend".  It also contains oxyclic acid, but it's in a powder form. This has been written up before.
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

I would try Barkeeper's Friend first and then go to Soft Scrub if it does not work. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

DarthOccam

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 31, 2013, 07:40:51 PM
FSR, blue gel.  Works great.  Do not use On & Off - nasty stuff.

Another vote for FSR.  Works chemically, no scrubbing. 
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : FSR and Barkeepers Friend both use ocylic acid to do the job. Both work, but you can get Barkeepers Friend in the grocery store for only a few $$.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788