Upgrade of alternator and alternator bracket

Previous topic - Next topic

Klamb

Looking for some help and advice. I have a 1988 C34 with a M4-30A diesel and I have been reading all the necessary upgrades which are important and working my way through them.  Now I would like to upgrade to a larger alternator. I have decided to go with the Leece Neville 90Amp and have read Mainesails info on this ( very good ) but the engine everyone seems to have is the M25 or M25 XBP and the alternator bracket upgrade is mentioned for these.  My question is : does this same bracket upgrade apply to the M4-30A. ( I am thinking it does but would like some clarification if anyone has information on this.) 
Thanks in advance

Kevan

Ron Hill

Kevin : The alternator upgrade on the M25 engine (not M25XP) was a revamp of the way that the alternator was hung on the engine.

You might call Joe Joyce Westerbeke Service Manager (508-823-7677 X234) and see how close the M4-30A alternator installation is to the M25XP which is more frequently used engine. 

Then see if anyone on this net has used a Leece Neville alternator.  Also call Leece Neville and see what they say.   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

Kevan, here is a picture (thanks to Stu) of the M25 with the original alternator mounting bracket. The alternator is at the far right of the picture, the bracket is the curved piece running above the alternator with the long slot at the left end.

http://www.c34.org/projects/images/altold-bracket.gif

Unless you have that bracket I would think this specific upgrade wouldn't apply. The replacement bracket runs under the alternator:

http://www.c34.org/projects/images/altnew-bracket2.gif

Stu Jackson

Kevan,

The choice is simple, regardless of what engine you have.  IF the alternator bracket is made of cast metal, it absolutely, positively needs to be replaced.

You should also check all of the Westerbeke engine bulletins, and read our Critical Upgrades topic which suggests this.

I was one of the many skippers who had this issue and decided, along with many others but with pictures, to write about the details, and while my experience was for our M25 and it doesn't apply to M25XPs, the concept is based on the way the old brackets were made.

Without referring to the www.marinedieseldirect.com website for your engine, it'd be easier for you to tell us what you have, or better yet, post a picture.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Klamb

Thank you to all, this has given me some ideas, but first I will go back to the boat, take the alternator off and get a picture of the mounting bracket. Then I can make my decision based on what if find there.
Thanks Stu I had already read all the critical upgrades, this is what prompted me to look into this as I was changing the alternator to go with the battery upgrade I had recently completed.
Just need to figure out if I need the bracket or not, then its install the 90amp alternator and a Link Pro battery monitor.
I have read all the upgrades and am working my way through them, I have done the harness upgrade :thumb:
Amazing site with all the information you guys have taken the time to post, hopefully I will be able to contribute one day.

Kevan

Stu Jackson

Kevan, if you haven't bought the Link Pro yet, I strongly suggest you consider the Victron instead.  It's much easier and less expensive to install.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125606

This link is also in the "101 Topics", "Electrical 101"

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Kevan,  I looked up your alternator group at Torreson's website

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200144-43&model=M4-30%20/%20M4-30A%20%28Do%20not%20use%20wiring%20diagram%20for%20M4-30A%29&manufacturer=Universal&title=Alternator%20Group&quant_position=&catalog=200144&printparts=200144&printservice=&printoperators=&comment1=

It appears that your adjusting bracket is a flat bar which means you don't have the dreaded cast metal that the OEM M25s had.

You should be OK.

You could also follow Ron's advice and call Joe Joyce just to make sure. 

I didn't check the engine bulletins, I'll leave that to you.

Ron Hill

Kevin : After the holiday call Leece Neville tech support/customer service.  I'm sure that they can tell you if and which of their alternator case configurations will fit your M4 engine. 

I know that Balmar can, so I'd guess that any alternator company can - or they should be able to find out for you!  Especially if you tell them that you are also looking at a Balmar alternator!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788