Dripping Breather Hose

Previous topic - Next topic

dprice

I am evaluating a 1998 model for purchase.  During the survey I noticed oil dripping from the breather hose.  There was enough oil that the air filter was soaked and there was a light film of oil in the bilges and on the floor of the engine compartment.  Can anyone comment on if this is normal or possible excessive.  Oil level is a touch over the "Full" mark and I was wondering if this could be a cause.

Engine is the Universal M35BC and has approx. 300 hours on it.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Roc

I have a 2000 model with almost 400 hours.  My air filter, and the surrounding area near the breather hose does not have the excessive oil that you describe.  What I do notice is a very LIGHT film of oil on the air filter.  Can't comment on what the cause could be.  I don't really think that this could be due to the oil being a hair above the line...IMHO....Had one thought...The breather hose should be pointed directly at the air filter so the gases are recirculated.  Maybe the air filter was never cleaned and the soot just kept depositing itself onto the filter and surrounding areas??? Other than the oil on the filter, does it look relatively clean (i.e. pourous) or is it caked with dust, dirt, etc.? Interested to see what others say.

Regards,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

One Love

My air cleaner is always clean. The engine has 350 hours on it and the motor compartment and the whole motor is as clean as it can be even the floot below the engine is spotless. I would suggest that if you are seeing oil you should investigate. You might also want to ask the owner or broker why they haven't bothered to clean it up if they are serious about selling the boat. Get a machanic to look at it, probably a good investment.

chris mitchell

If the oil level is too high then more than normal oily fumes will come out of the breather pipe and saturate the breather, the higher the oil level the worse it will be, but if the oil is only slightly above full that should not be a problem.
If the piston rings are worn or broken then exhaust gases will get into the crankcase and blow oily fumes out of the crankcase through the breather tube, you can check this by putting your finger over the breather pipe, a small pulsating pressure is normal, a lot of pressure calls for a compression check.