NewGlass2

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I just finished waxing the boat this week and will have it put in the water on Tuesday.  Talked to a man that was applying new glass2 on his boat, 30 year old boat and it looked nice.  As anyone used this product.  Would like to try it next year.  
PS:  I am pleased with my waxing job.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

You've done a great job.  If it was my boat, I'd never paint something on.

I'd use this:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

NewGlass is a competitive product to Poliglow and both are basically acrylic floor waxes.  There are people who swear by it and people who think it's a sin to use either.
My boat had NewGlass (actually, I think it is NuGlass) on it when I bought it and the previous owner had let it go and it looked like crap.  I almost didn't buy the boat because of it.
Anyway, I stripped it off and went the wax route and glad I did.

pablosgirl

I have used Newglass2 on my previous boat.  it worked great on 20 year old gel-coat that needed sanding then buffing without all that work.  It is like varnish maintenance though.  You need to put down a lot of layers to get that new-like gel-coat shine and you have to apply a couple of maintenance coats every six months or the finish will go to hell and you will have to strip off the finish and start over.  It was worth it on the old gel-coat and certainly cheaper than painting the gel-coat to restore the shine. 

On  our 34, the gel-coat finish had been well maintained and I found it easier to wax it every six months to keep the shine.  If your gel-coat is in good shape, it would be easier to wax every six months instead and you would get a better finish.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Paulus

Thanks for all the input.  I think that I will stay with the waxing.  My wife helped yesterday to clean and finish the inside and she remarked that the wax job look good.  Heading for the North Channel soon, very soon.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

David Comando

Collonite fiberglass cleaner first, then Collinite wax, both applied by hand. Hand polishing, then using a Sears orbital buffer. It counts as a week at the gym!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

tommyt

Paulus, don't leave too soon. Frost tonight north of Frankfort.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

chuck53

Quote from: David Comando on May 23, 2013, 09:13:08 AM
Collonite fiberglass cleaner first, then Collinite wax, both applied by hand. Hand polishing, then using a Sears orbital buffer. It counts as a week at the gym!

Been doing that for years.  If you go that route, get the paste wax, not liquid, and when you put it on, follow directions and DO NOT let it dry before buffing off.

Stu Jackson

Good point.

If you read Maine Sail's Waxing article, he IIRC suggests using a spray bottle of water, either before or after applying the Collinite paste wax.  Works great.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."