HELP raw water pump vane direction?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Anyone know the direction for the impeller vanes on the raw water pump?  M35b engine.  I thought they were self aligning but when I took my pump apart after 1 hr run time some vanes were one way some the other.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

When you're facing the engine (looking at the pump cover) , the impeller spins clockwise.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jim : Roc is correct. 
The vanes will straighten themselves out - don't worry about it!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

mainesail

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 21, 2013, 08:04:34 AM
Anyone know the direction for the impeller vanes on the raw water pump?  M35b engine.  I thought they were self aligning but when I took my pump apart after 1 hr run time some vanes were one way some the other.
Jim

It is from "kick back" upon shut down. They are 100% self aligning and there is NO NEED to "align" them as some suggest you "must".... They will self align once the engine is running. When you shut her down they often get misaligned by the brief back kick the motor has just before the pistons come to a complete stop..

I'd say I notice this on at least 1/3 of the impeller changes I do...  So, it does not matter how you put them in as they can become "unaligned", and do very often, all on their own..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

Thanks for clearing that up.  That counts as something new I learned today.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA