Practical Sailor eBook ad

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

I just got an ad from PS for their ebook "Entry Level Cruiser-Racers". An excerpt from the book:

"An interesting aside: We learned in talking with builders and dealers that they know their market, including personality types, and the likely use of the boats. By their accounts, Catalina owners are more likely to sail, and work on, their boats; Hunter owners are more likely to use the boats for dockside entertainment, and reach for a credit card when repairs are to be made. Beneteau owners seem to fall somewhere in between."

I guess we all knew that.

Turning off the smug now before it comes and bites me you know where.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

stevewitt1

Personally, I've never let money, or the lack of it, stand in my way.  Maybe thats the reason a friend and myself had to build our first sailboat from a kit (Lugar Tradewinds 26) and then I had to refurbish "The Lusty Wench" 27' Catalina, my next boat.
Any owner is entitled to determine if they prefer to "flash the plastic" or nick their nuckles.  I chose the latter not only from budgetary constraints but also to develop a more in depth knowledge of that which takes me across greater distances of water than I care to swim.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Mick & Guys : I've always been a tinkerer, worked on my autos and had keen interest in the single pilot aircraft I was flying.

When I first got my C34 back in 1989 the yard offered a $50 deal to have 2 bottom coats of paint done by them.  I thought that was a great deal until I observed their "kids" applying bottom paint to another boat. 
Then I hired a "diesel mechanic" to do some work and found that I easily knew more about the subject than he did!!  That's when I started doing my own work.

Now I'm at the age I know what to do, how to do it, but need some help(another hand) and it kills me to have to get a "helper" @ $75/hr. 

Guess like Colonel Harland Sanders once said about his donating money, "No sense in being known as the richest man in the graveyard"!

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I guess if I averaged out the cost of a college education, my son's hourly rate would approach Ron's helper's $75!  :D :D :D

However, before he started sailing again with me and when he was away at school, I had some great friends who were always around to help.

The two times I had "trained professionals" work on my boat, they screwed up and I had to fix their work.

Maybe that's why we Catalina skippers do our own work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Hey all,

I apologize for forgetting one very important thing that has developed in the last decade or so.  That being great forum groups like this.  In a previous life when I had my 3270 MotorYacht (yes, a stinkpot) the Bayliner Owners Group, and now the C34IA, have proved to be immeasurable sources of knowledge due to the unfettered intellectual generosity of the members there and here.  This vast source of experience, in my mind, results in countless owners being able to "tinker" and, not only, save thousands of billable man hours but also boat in a safer vessel.
My sincere "Thank You" to all that contribute here and on other forums and I assure you that I will continue to take advantage of your generosity.  I also hope, in some small way, to contribute as well.

Sincerely
Steve
visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Stephen Butler

Have made this comment before, but it stands repeating.  This site is one of the top reasons we purchased our C34.  We like to tinker and do 98% of our own maintenance and upgrades.  We have the tools, the time, but often not the specific knowledge on how to proceed.  This site has it all...and if not, just wait a few days and your answer will appear.  We have lost track of how many thousands of dollars we have saved over the years with the help of this site, or the hours of enjoyment and sense of pride this site has allowed us to experience. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Hardesty

For me this site was a great bonus.  Didn't know about it till I decided to buy my C34.  Every problem or concern I've had someone here has had before me and they share expertiese and sources.  With out a doubt being a C34IA member has saved me many hours of trouble shooting and fix it time and returned the dues with tips on sources for parts.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA