Sealing cabin sole

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

I am just going to pick up my T&H cabin sole (plywood laminate).  I have read about the different types of varnish to use on the veneer and that the edges and bottom should be protected with epoxy.  This probably shows how little I know, but what type/brand of epoxy is best for this?  I am assuming it is the standard 2-part epoxy (probably thinned down a little) but want to confirm before I purchase.

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Clay Greene

I've just used three coats of Minwax Spar Urethane from Home Depot. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ted Pounds

WEST System epoxy works well and wont require any thinning.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

mregan

I just used a couple of coats of urethane on the bottom.  Used Epifanes High Gloss on the top.

Jeff Kaplan

Greg,  when I got the new sole cut, I first coated top, bottom, and sides,very important to seal sides, with a 50/50 mixture of varnish and mineral oil,paint thinner.  Once dried, I used 4 coats of spar varnish all over and then finished the top with 5 coats of semi gloss poly.  Done 5 seasons ago, still looks new.  A lot of time required, but the end product is all worth it.  I also got an 8' marine carpet runner to protect my investment in the cabin.  Good luck and remember to lightly sand between coats and brush out all the air bubbles.  Good luck...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma