As Mick Jagger said - Please allow me to introduce myself

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

Well to introduce myself and my new boat I figured I would shoot this post.
My name is Paul Barrett. I live in Salem Mass with my wife and two small boys, really small, Ryan almost 3 and Patrick 1. They both started sailing when they were only weeks old. My 1974 Seafarer yawl was been an awesome boat for the last ten years but with the little ones, I was looking for more room below and also a boat that was a little stiffer on the wind.

After cruising Yacht World all winter and reading this owners forum, I was completely sure that the C34 was the perfect boat for us! I found my 88 C34 in Buffalo NY. I got what I consider a great deal on her. She was sold in an estate sale. The prior owner passed away leaving her on the hard for the years. She was named Sunquest. If anybody knew the PO, I would appreciate hearing from you.

When I splash her, I Would like to make some memorial (I don't know what) in his honor. At least think of him an say a prayer for him. It would make it a little better for me if I knew something about him. I am not a very religious person but every seasons end why I am taking my boat to the yard to be hauled, I thank someone (I guess the big guy up there) for allowing me and my family to have another fun and safe season on the water.

When I bought my Seafarer she was named Faith. I didn't find a need to rename her. I am going to rename Sunquest to Buddy B. Buddy B was my father that passed away 3 years ago. Other than being in the navy when he was a young man, he was a land lubber. He was a good man that always made us laugh.
I gained a lot of experience working on; and upgrading Faith. That coupled with this owner website is giving me the confidence to tackle most anything that my come up.

After looking over the boat, the boats systems, I love this boat. I love the layout, the space and the aft cabin is going to be perfect for the boys. The accessibility to everything is awesome. It's very nice to make such a major purchase like this and feel so confident that I made the right choice.
I have a race to Provincetown that I would like to do in the middle of June but I'm not going to rush things, probably won't hit the water until until late June early July.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

waterdog

Welcome aboard.   Clearly you are a man of wealth and taste.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Set2sea

LOL
Maybe taste but if I was wealthy, I'm not so sure I would have bought a fixer upper!
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Steve Weiss

Hi Paul, I also live in Salem although my boat (which I bought last fall) is up in Portland. I think there's someone else on this board who is in Salem as well.

lazybone

As Mick Jagger said - "Please allow me to introduce myself "

So you are Lucifir.

I've always wanted to party with you.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kevin Henderson

I've been around for a long long year  :wink: and I've never seen such a wonderful introduction. 

Being a retired Navy man myself, naming your boat after your Father is a tremendous honor and your thoughtfulness of the previous owner ensures Buddy B. to be a very lucky boat indeed!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Paul : Welcome Onboard !!  There is a wealth of information written (28 years worth) in the Mainsheet tech notes, WiKi, Projects and this message board form.  You just have to read it! 

Welcome Again and Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Your end of the year thanks are probably also heard by Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea, don't forget them in your prayers.  The link give all the information needed to properly and correctly change your boat's name.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Hi Paul,

I'm with the South Shore Yacht Club and am doing the P'Town race too.  Going to Scituate the night before (with about 8 other boats) so I'll look for you.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass