Heat exchanger

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I think that I need to replace my 3" heat exchanger.  Seems to have a slow leak, always damp under one of the clamps.  Any ideas where to buy one of these.  I have not taken it off yet to see if it can be fixed.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

cmainprize

Sen-Dure without question.  They will have the part for 1/3 the price of any universal parts supplier.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Paul : Here's what I'd recommend you do:
1. Pull off the HX and take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and pressure tested.
2. Contact Glen Mar Marine (800)282-0123 and get new end caps and gaskets.

The radiator shop can fix/solder any crack and the new end caps/gaskets will take care of any end problem. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

SailingJerry

Quote from: Paulus on May 01, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
I think that I need to replace my 3" heat exchanger.  Seems to have a slow leak, always damp under one of the clamps.  Any ideas where to buy one of these.  I have not taken it off yet to see if it can be fixed.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul, my HX was in serious need of some TLC. New endcap gasket set  under $10 and $125 at a radiator shop (soldered all the pinhole leaks and flushed it out). Back in the water this past Friday and the engine is running cool and dry. Why spend $$$ for new if there's life left in the HX. Here's a great link.  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger  Good luck. Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Ralph Masters

When I reinstalled my HX after servicing it I put 3-4 turns of electrical tape aroung it where the hose clamps go to keep them from digging into it and causing hole under them.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Paulus

I had my Heat exchanger fixed at a radiator shop, $40.oo and tested.  Small leak by the bracket.  I will put a heavy rubber between the bracket and the engine.  Thanks for the advice.  Did not paint it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : Good for you!!  If you get a chunk of inner tube, it will make a nice cushion.  The clamps only need to be snug, NOT over tight.

The key is that the exhaust riser is not pressing down on the heat exchanger that's what causes the problems!!

A thought   
Ron, Apache #788