Battery Charger for 6 volt golf cart batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry to hear the the quality of the Xrantrex products may be slipping.

As I have mentioned in the past most of the newer electronics have an internal fan for cooling, so it appears that the days of convection cooling may be going away - especually for the larger units.

So make sure that where ever you mount your charge, inverter, etc there is adequate ventelation.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

I've had the Truecharge 40 for 9+ years and am still happy with it.  It's a shame the quality has declined.

Regarding mounting, it is important to orient chargers as designed.  I asked Xantrex and was told it was designed and certified for veritcal mounting for cooling purposes.  They said it'd probably work fine on it's side, but that's not how it was certified (and probably tested) and therefore wasn't recommended.

Mine is in the hanging locker aft of the nav table, as far back as I could get it.  I do have the remote monitor.  The fan does run during high output, but rarely once the output drops.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Volk

Kyle,
That's interesting, the one I had that failed was the Truecharge2 40A  that was mounted vertically under the chart table with plenty of ventilation and the fan came on every time the charger came on.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Roc

The Truecharge "2" 40A is the newer model, which from what I see in this post, is not as good quality as the original Xantrax Truecharge 40.  Maybe that's why it failed.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD