DS-1 depth sounder replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Dear C34IA forum,

The Standard Horizon DS-1 depth sounder instrument aboard Esprit du Vent (#422) is "toast."  From reading these pages I have learned that the transducer, which is probably sound (no pun intended), can be attached to other instruments.  What new or used depth instruments might we get to work with this transducer?

Thanks,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : On another boat I had a Horizon DS1 and made the mistake of believing that the insturment itself  was bad and the transducer OK -- bad assumption!

After that, I've always recommended that the insturment and the transducer BOTH be checked!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 11, 2013, 02:35:26 PM
Bob : On another boat I had a Horizon DS1 and made the mistake of believing that the insturment itself  was bad and the transducer OK -- bad assumption!

After that, I've always recommended that the insturment and the transducer BOTH be checked!!

A thought

Excellent suggestion.  How do you check a transducer that is a through-hull?  This is not a high priority issue as we have depth on our Garmin 172C.  This is more of a back up system and the fact that I like everything to work.  Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Ron Hill

Bob : I believe that your question need to be asked to Standard Horizon. 

I'm sure they can tell you!

Ron, Apache #788

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: RobertSchuldenfrei on February 10, 2013, 04:50:35 PM
Dear C34IA forum,

The Standard Horizon DS-1 depth sounder instrument aboard Esprit du Vent (#422) is "toast."  From reading these pages I have learned that the transducer, which is probably sound (no pun intended), can be attached to other instruments.  What new or used depth instruments might we get to work with this transducer?

Thanks,

Bob

We resolved the problem, but we had to buy another depth sounder.  We got a Hawk Eye which works fine with its own transducer.  The DS-1 instrument was beyond repair and its through-hull transducer would not work with the Hawk Eye.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422