Engine Instrument Panel Light

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kimbel

The back-light for my engine temperature gauge, located in the cockpit recently stopped working.  I pulled out the control panel this weekend, and found that the bulb was actually fine, however the small gray bracket that the bulb sits in (and is twisted into the back of the panel) had broken.  No attempt at rigging it back into place would work, and I've scoured the internet looking for any reference to such a part without any success.

Does anyone have any tips on where I could find one?  It is gray with a round top and rectangluar base.

Thanks -  (I have tried to attach a photo - hopefully successfully)

Jeff

2ndwish

I think Seaward made the engine panel and has parts. They used to have a spare parts list, but I just checked their web page and the company was recently acquired by Whale products, and the electrical panel parts list is no longer shown. You will probably have to call them to get the part.

Ron Hill

Jim : I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes on adding red LEDs to the engine instruments for better night vision and a number of other reasons.

I had your same problem (cracking bulb holder) and in that article I mentioned that I looked all over for a replacement holder for a #194 bulb (marine and auto stores).  
I happened to find that at the Ford dealer parts dept, they sold the replacement 194 bulbs in a holder!!!

You might want to read that article back in Nov 2007 issue and change to all LEDs.

Few people realize how hot those 194 bulbs really get and are always ON when the engine is running!! Any bulb warmth drys any moisture that may have formed, but the 194 bulbs are too HOT and hence deforms/cracks the bakelite "plastic"!!   

Great information in those old Mainsheet tech Notes!    A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kimbel

Excellent info and advice as always, Ron.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I like your LED advice.

Fuzzy

Some heat is good in the panel though, for keeping moisture content down
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475