Rebuilding a Sherwood raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : If the blockage is so bad that when you remove entire strainer assembly from the thru hull and then you slowly open the thru hull and NOTHING come out, that's when you need the wooden dowel !!

D Winchel came up with the dingy pump idea and it does work sometimes.  I still carry a 3/8" wooder dowel.
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron,

Following on our recent discussions on the Sherwood Redux thread I did speak to Westerbeke and the Sherwood distributor here in BC and the "official" pumping capacities of both pumps are apparently the same for the Oberdorfor 202M-15(and16) and the Sherwood G908. However your obsevations in "the field" with both pumps is persuasive that more water is moved by the Sherwood. I have had good luck with my Sherwood (now weeping) so am inclined to replace it (even with the added cost over the Ober) and renew the old Sherwood pump as a spare.

SO, all that to say that you mentioned your re-build below and I wonder if you can send us(me) a tech note on the steps. I think (hoped) you had done one up already.

Thanks in advance,
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on January 09, 2013, 11:18:49 AM

SO, all that to say that you mentioned your re-build below and I wonder if you can send us(me) a tech note on the steps. I think (hoped) you had done one up already.

Hawk,

Your boat, your choice on the pump selection.  Good logic.

As far as Ron's writeup on pump rebuilds, here's a link that includes references to Ron's writeup which includes his SPECIAL TOOL for removing the seals, which I used successfully.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

It's for an Oberdorfer, but should work just as well for a Sherwood with Ron's earlier comments in this thread included.

Good luck, it's worthwhile, whatever you choose to do, to get rid of that weeping, asap. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

Ron Hill

Tom : Send me your email address and I'll send you talk you thru the rebuild of a Sherwood pump.

It is not the same as an Oberdoffer and I believe a bit easier. 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks so much Ron.......on the way.

Tom