Galley Sink Drain Critical Check

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

While having our new refrigeration unit installed we discovered that the connection between the galley sink drain and the thru hull was very loose and leaking.  It appeared that the threaded section had been over tightened and stripped.  Whether by the factory or a previous owner we have no way of knowing.  However it came out in our hand without much effort.  With the thru hull open this could have sunk the boat had it come off.  I would advise that everybody check this connection below your galley sink.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

cmainprize

Every thru hull and associated connection is a critical failure point, check them all and often.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Mark : The majority of C34 owners have completely replumbed their galley sink, but checking all thru hull attachments a couple of times a year is always a smart thing to do!!  

Look at articles in the Mainsheet tech notes, numerious posts and projects !!  
Ron, Apache #788

SailingJerry

Thanks for the reminder. That one is out of the way and forgotten. Mine was never replumbed so there's a nice winter project,
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

horsemel

I check and operate the thru hulls each time we are at the boat.  I don't leave the boat with them open when we head for home.  However, I did not realize the fitting to the thru hull was bad.  Never thought to give a yank to the pipe that lead to the thru hull.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815