Alternative solar power for cabin vent????

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim P

My dodger blocks the sun from the solar panel on the cabin vent on my 88 and thus the fan never runs (I have checked when dodger folded and fan works but leave dodger up all the time).  Has anyone ever "added" a panel that can be left in the sun with wiring to fan and if so what would I need to consider when purchasing, (output etc.)

Ron Hill

Jim : I also have an "88" and I've found that sitting in the slip the sun moves and sometimes activates that solar vent. So it isn't that the solar vent never operates!!

My bow is pointed NNW.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Jim, check out Nicro's line of vents.  IIRC, they make one that looks just like the one we/you have, but is powered by 12V, thus requiring wiring.

Our boat faces due south, so the dodger pretty much shades the two vents all day, too.

I don't mind, 'cuz our dorade vents work very well.  Our prevailing winds here are either from the west (normally) or south (winter), so I always leave the dorades facing outboard.  This position also avoids getting water in the cowls when pounding into waves.  During the winter we get south winds during storms, but the dorades still catch some air.

Point being that I don't rely on the vents.  They get plenty of sun when we're sailing and the dodger cover is off (dodger is up).

We also leave both the head and aft cabin door open when we're not there, and also leave the two ports in the aft cabin open all the time.

Your boat, your choice. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim P

Thanks, mine also points south so no sun.  Purchased this past March an PO was great at maintenance but  I need to work on the dorades as mine have "frozen" mostly shut as seems to be the norm.  I leave the aft doors open also and get decent air but figure the hole is already there so why not take advantage of the fan.  Do you not get rain into the aft cabin with the ports open?  I have the hatch in the head and leave mostly open since covered with the dodger.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim P on November 19, 2012, 03:57:17 PM

1.  I need to work on the dorades as mine have "frozen" mostly shut as seems to be the norm.  

2.  Do you not get rain into the aft cabin with the ports open?  

3.  I have the hatch in the head and leave mostly open since covered with the dodger.

Jim,

1.  The "trick" to EASILY fix the dorades is to simply unscrew the top assembly and work on the "guts" from the top.  If you're an IA member, you can access the Tech Notes Online and read this: http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf

2.  No, since the winter storm winds come from the south and the boat's facing that way.

3.  We have the Gray portlight in the head fixed portlight rather than the later hatch on the cabintop.  I have to close ours before it rains!  You're lucky!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim P

Thanks as with many things has made it to the top of the to do list.

Ron Hill

Jim : You can get a 4" Day/Night Nicro solar vent that has a re-chargable battery so when it gets sunlight it will charge the battery. When there is no sunlight it operates by battery power.

Here's what I did with my dorade vents.  I took them apart and screwed them to the full open position.  Then I scabbed on a 4" Beckson deck plate on the inside.  If I want them closed I screw in the cap of the deck plate and never touch the dorade mechanism. 
You might also want to clean that SS screen and get the "fuzz" off.  Then you'll get the best flow of air.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim P

Thanks for anyone following this thread they don't make the 12v version anymore.  Great idea about the Beckson plate