winter tarps

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

I purchased a custom cover for my previous boat, a CD 27.
I would like to get a custom cover for my recently purchased
C34, but I am maxed out, I can't justify it, this year. So I am
curious, those folks up north who are covering there boat with
tarps.. what size are you guys using..??
I figure two, maybe three, brown tarps one from the mast back to the stern,
One from the mast to the bow, and one cut up to go in and out
Around the shrouds. The masts stay up in our marina...
Thanks,
Ron

Roc

Ron,
The first year I had my boat, I thought I could fabricate a cover with sturdy tarps (the silver/black ones, not the blue).  So I went out and bought them and rigged something together.  Not even to the middle of winter, the cuts I made just got bigger and pieces flapped against the fiberglass and ports and just ended up scuffing things up.  The next year I invested in a custom winter cover.  Best money spent.   I tried to make the tarp cover to shed off all the snow and water.  Maybe that was trying to go too far. You might have success by doing somthing that just drapes over the boom and something forward of the mast and behind the boom, but not 'watertight'.  All in all, a custom cover is best (pricey, yes) but I've had mine now for over 12 seasons.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Footloose

Ron,

I have to agree with Roc.  I had the boat shrink wrapped for several years but always had leaking stantions in the spring due to the stess on them.  Several friends have used tarps but they are alway throwing them out in the spring due to destruction through the winter.  I bought a cover from Top Shop in Kingston, Ontario and have been happy with it.  Several others on the list have also used them.  Cost is about the same as 2-3 years of shrink wrap.  They were the least expensive producer that I found.

Sorry that this is not the answer you wanted.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

mregan

Ron
First couple of years I had my C-30 I made up a frame of 3/4" conduit and used a couple of brown/grey tarps.  Didn't cut any of tarps around the rigging, would just try to wrap it around them somehow.  My tarps lasted me 3 seasons, then the frame broke uder the weight of the snow and I had a custom cover made.  Others would cut the tarps around the stanchions.  These would eventually rip from either the snow or wind and had to be tossed out after 1 season. 
Since I'm getting my, new to me C-34 tomorrow, and it's the end of the season, I'll be going back to the tarp routine this year.  If it works out, I plan on laying one over the boom then tie it down.  From the mast to the bow, I'll run a 2x4 then throw a tarp over that and tie it down.
My theory is as long as I can keep water out of the hatches where it can expand if freezing I feel I'll be in good shape and if the tarps keep 85% of the deck clear, I should be good.  The custom cover on my C-30 was installed the same way but there was strapping that tied off to the stanchions.  There was a couple of inch gap between the bottom of the cover and the stanchions and I never had any issue.  Snow and water on the side decks doesn't concern me that much.

patrice

Hi Ron,

Same issue with me, new boat this season, and budget is gone.
On my previous C25, it had a custom cover made, very nice, but $$$.

This year I went with the tarps, used the heavy duty one, not the blue cheap.
Do not make any cut in it, this were they rip.  If need to, put good duct tap on both side, top and bottom, around the cut.
Went from toe rail to toe rail, not over stanchion.
When done, run a rope over the whole tarp, like a roast beef.  This will prevent the wind to rip the tarp away.
That's what I was doing before the C25, and the tarp would be good for a few seasons.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Albreen

A very good alternative to tarps is the fabric sold by Kover Klamps. It is lightweight, very strong, cuts easily and holds up to sun and snow. This is season 4 now and it has held up well. Certainly not as good as a custom cover but far better than tarps. The Kover clips work well. Some day a custom cover will rise to the top of the funding list!  :D
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Ed Shankle

I've gone the home made route with good success. 5-6 yrs from a silver tarp. 40x20 or 40x30. I made a pvc frame and remove the lifelines for a better sloughing angle. It's cut for mast up layup. It's cut from the mast forward, along the ridge. I reinforced the cut edges with outdoor duct tape and punched in brass grommets on both sides of that cut. I connect them with plastic wire ties. Did the same from the backstay to the end of the cover at the stern. Holes cut out for the stanchions and side stays. Again, reinforced with the duct tape. If there aren't enough grommets on the edges of the tarp, I've added more as needed. Finally, it's tied down, side to side with clothes line. I've also added a couple of grommets in the forward section so that I can get a fairly snug wrap around the bow and connect with wire ties. I put tape "walls" in front of the stays and stanchions to direct the water running down the tarp away from the stay/stachion holes. Sort of like what some people put on their roofs over doorways if they don't have gutters.
Yes, it takes a little work to make it, but done once, the used one can be used to template the next one, making it faster to customize. and it's worth it given the money saved not shrinkwrapping. Of course it also means disconnecting and reconnecting the side stays from the turnbuckles to get them through the holes.
Hope that helps.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

RonE

I realize a custom winter cover is the best way to go, I really liked it with the last two winters with my CD 27.  I also had some bad experiences with leaky stancions when I had a tarp get pulled down with the weigh of ice. I may get the cover next year.  I like your methods Ed, I may follow your pattern this winter, I am hauling electiion day. The two next days look good for a sail, especially since I have two half days from work.  Send me a photo Ed if you have one of your tarps .thanks all ,
Ron

Jim Hardesty

I think the investment in a cover (both time and money) depends on the winter conditions you expect.  In Erie,PA if you cover it has to be a good one.  Few if any blue tarps last the average winter.  Can do more harm than good with a cover.  Just a couple of cautions from me.  Use caution with the stantions, snow and wind loads can bend or cause the stantions to leak.  I've seen pulpits and pushpits (on other brands) bent and broken from the deck.  Most important don't ever tie a cover or tarp to jack stands.  The wind can get under the tarp and pull the jack stand out.
I have a custom made cover and sturdy frame.  Takes me a couple of hours to put it on, going to do it today.  May be I'll take it off April 1st...that's an April fools joke...doesn't happen often.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Phil Spicer

Ron,
I made a frame using 2" pvc. Made a post at each stanchion. The posts have a "t" on top and 2" pvc between the posts. Posts are 2" above the stanchions so all the load is on the pvc. Wire or wireties hold the posts to the stanchions. Rafters run from the rail to a ridge at the centerline . Frame is like post and beam construction. I store with mast down @ off the boat... Cost to pull mast...$45. Store mast, $50. Set mast in spring, $45. All masts comes down every year where I store.
Made a 3 part cover using Top Notch (seconds). 12' zippers connect the parts. No part is over 28 pounds so it is easy to get up the ladder. $250 for fabric + zippers & webbing.

Just another idea

Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Fuzzy

Phil:  I wish that the pricing around here was as good as you get.  It costs me $550 if I
have the mast pulled, stored and reset.
        After seeing all the posts here about the cost & problems with covering the boat in
the winter I feel that I got a good deal on buying a used custom cover for $500.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

mregan

Larry,
Up in RI, it costs about the same to pull and store the mast.  $500 for a cover is a good deal.  I had a custom cover made for my C-30.  Cost about $1100 and that was less expesive than several others I had seen.

patrice

Hi,

Here too is kind of expensive to have the mast drop for winter.

About the cost for a winter cover, my previous C25 came with a custom cover with full framing.  The PO had told that she paid over 3500$ for it at thte time, that was like over 10 years ago....
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Fred Koehlmann

It interesting how things have changed.

On my dad's boat and my father-in-law's boat, neither used a winter cover. This is here on the Great Lakes (Georgian Bay). For 25 years my dad just threw a few plastic bottles and blue foam into the cockpit to ensure that there was enough "crush" space for expanding ice/snow. In the spring we would clean out the left over leaves and stuff, launch and go sailing. After 25 years he sold the boat and it was still in good shape, without any leaks through the deck. Now the gelcoat on the deck nolonger had that shiny /glossy look and was more of a chaulky white, but that might have more to do with age and UV. In those days only a few "rich" folks covered their boats, and it didn't always help (mold, condensation, etc).

Now, in the exact same marina almost 95% of the boats are covered of which about half have custom covers. I know the technology and techniques have greatly improved, and it seems like its all about protecting that investment of yous. I know that is why we ended up getting a custom cover for Dolphina. The numbers for us were considerably different that those mentioned so far. To shrink wrap, would have cost $1000 annually. The mast drop and raise is $250 each or $500 annually, so most people leave their mast up. Our cover came in at $5000. This will be our second season covering her up, so I'll let you know in three more years if it paid for itself.

I do like one thing about the cover, and that is it let me start earlier in the year to work on the inside of the boat. Throw in a couple of heaters and its nice an cozy in there. I was able to get the holding tank install started early enough that we didn't miss too many days in the beginning of the season. And I do like how everything in side is dry.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fuzzy

Frederick:  That sure is a nice looking cover.  Mine is similar but nearly that nice.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475