New C-34 owner

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Weiss

Well, the sale was completed today and I am now the proud owner of a 1986 C-34, hull#28. I appreciate the advice I've gotten on this site and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to come.

mregan

Congratulations Steve.  I'm hoping to close on my '86 in a couple of days.

Matt

Steve Weiss

Thanks Matt and good luck with yours. I'm sure we'll have some interesting stories to swap in the coming months/years.

Stu Jackson

Welcome aboard    :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Congratulation on your new boat...  :clap

You will enjoy your C34
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Brad Young

Steve,
Welcome aboard. This site, is the second best reason to own a C34. You will find a wealth of infomation here. Talented sailors and expert mechanics. Their, been there done that stories will save you time and money.

The first reason to own a C34? Sailing her.

Sail Fast my Friends

Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Steve Weiss

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. This is a fantastic site and the fact that a site like this exists definitely factored into my decision to go with a Catalina. As someone who is relatively new to boat ownership (I've had my first boat, a Pearson Triton for 3 years) it's reassuring to know that there is such a great source of information and knowledgeable owners to provide advice and the occasional bit of moral support  :D

Kevin Henderson

Congratulations Steve   :clap :clap

I hope you have a warm barn or shed to put your new pride and joy for the winter so you can get to work on all the projects.  Having lived north of Portland (Bath) for a couple years, I know first hand how "wicked" the winter can be.

Congratulations and have fun.....  :thumb:

PS... Don't forget to join the C34 Association to get into all the juicy Tech Notes from years back.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Steve Weiss

Thanks Kevin- I live in Salem, MA but I'll be keeping the boat indoors at Portland Yacht Service in Portland. There are a bunch of things that I'll have the yard do this Winter, then I'll work on the "easy" stuff next Spring (which I already can't wait for). I will definitely be joining the C34 Association, thanks.

-Steve

Ed Shankle

Will you eventually be coming to Hawthorne Cove Marina in Salem? We've got a few 34's here.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Steve Sayian

And one on the South Shore of Boston that frequents Hawthorne Cove Marina several times a season.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Ed Shankle on October 16, 2012, 09:53:50 AM
Will you eventually be coming to Hawthorne Cove Marina in Salem? We've got a few 34's here.

Ed

I've thought about that. I used to live in Portland and I like going up there still, but I think eventually I'd like to have the boat here. When I checked out marinas around here Hawthorne Cove looked like the best option, how do you like it? One big difference, slip fees are significantly more down here than Portland. I was also thinking about something further up the N Shore like Manchester or Gloucester.

Ed Shankle

I've been at HMC for years. I like it there and it's a good location; quick to get out to open water and easy to travel north to Maine or south to Cape Cod and everthing in between. Last year they got bought by Brewer's, so now they are part of a bigger organization, which has some discount benefits.
I'm on a mooring, so I avoid the slip fees. Mooring residence comes with launch service. I don't know what the rates are in Manchester, but I expect they are higher than Salem. Gloucester is probably cheaper, but then you have a longer ride to your boat. Sort of negates the benefit of living in Salem. I don't live in Salem, I'm in Bolton, so it gets to be a challenge sometimes getting the boat ready for spring commissioning if we get a lot of rainy weekends. Or in general for working on projects. I'm always envious of the folks who can stop by after work and either work on projects, go for quick harbor sail or just hang out. Then again, Portland's quick to Casco Bay and lot's of fun sailing. Trade off's.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Steve Weiss

From where I live in Salem I could easily walk to Hawthorne Cove, so that would be very nice. But Gloucester is only about 20 min by car so it's not too bad. My parents live on Little Deer Isle which from Portland is probably a 3 or 4 day trip depending on wind conditions/exploring. So I have a good excuse (not like one is needed) to head up to Penobscot Bay, which I haven't sailed yet but which I think will be more fun than Casco. And plenty of interesting spots in between.

Then in a few years bring the boat down here and start exploring South. At least, that's the plan for now.

efhughes3

Congratulations & welcome!
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC