Engine hours

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I'm going to look at an '86 with a Universal 25XP 23 horsepower motor.  1700 hours.  Is that a lot of hours for a motor?

Stu Jackson

That's pretty good.  We have 2537 eh on ours - just changed the oil the other day and took note in our engine log/maintenance book.  Ron Hill had 5000 hours on his before he replaced it.

The issue is not the hours but the maintenance and use.  If you're not familiar with diesel engines, have a mechanic check it out for you.  We also have tons of M25 series engine info in the Tech wiki.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Urscheler

1700 hours at an average speed of 5 m.p.h. is 8,500 miles. If your boat was a car, it's not even broken in yet. As Stu says, it's all in how you treat them

lazybone

Confirm that the hour meter is still working.

Our's craped out a few years ago.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

MRE : By the year (1986) that C34 should have an M25 21hp engine unless someone changed the engine!!

Look to see if the HX is 3" and if the alternator arm is under the alternator (M25XP charteristics).  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right, but as far as I know, the 86s didn't come with M25XP engines, they came a few years later.  We have an M25, and we replaced the HX with a 3 inch one and also replaced the alternator bracket.

Look carefully at the engine when you see the boat.

Good luck.  Look forward to having you here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

MRE : As I recall there is also a decal on the top of the coolant resevoir that gives the engine size and the serial #. 

It may have worn off. 
Ron, Apache #788