Installing replacement holding tank, hoses and head

Previous topic - Next topic

gimmeabreak

Hello everyone. We are  new to Catalina. I just bought a 1988 C34 and motored it down from Long Beach to San Diego. Once I got into port I soon realized that the sanitation system needed to be replaced including the head. Here are my questions:

I am having to replace my holding tank. It is the original size. What is the best way to keep the holding tank secured. I am limited to any head space between the elbow coming of the venting hole. It was suggested to spray a can of foam around the tank. Any comments from anyone.

Also any suggestions on fitting the breather for the vent line. If anyone has photos of how its done would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I own a product called Peek polish. Should anyone wish for a sample drop me a line and I will gladly send you free one of charge. My web site is www.peekpolish.com

mregan

The tank should be pretty secured already.  Mine is secured on both short ends with a piece of plywood that was tabbed into the hull in a couple of spots.  One of the long sides is against the fiberglass.
You could go the foam route but if you ever need to take the tank out, you have to cut away all the foam.  If you do decide to foam, wrap the tank in saran wrap then foam.  The foam will stick to the saran wrap and hold the tank in place but won't stick to the tank itself.  Makes removal easier.

Ralph Masters

Congratulations and best of luck on the boat.  Which marina are you in??  We are down in Pier 32 marina in National city, there is now 5 C-34 in our marina.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Is something wrong with your holding tank? Is it loose? Mine is very secure. I too do not understand why you would need to use foam to keep it in place. You should be able to secure it to the current supporting structure, unless something was removed.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

In many cases new owners feel that the holding tank is the culprit, too.  Many times the holding tank is just fine, it is the hoses that need to be replaced.  If you invest in a new head, if you go manual get a Raritan PHII or PHC, you could also get a Raritan LBA which is the pump and you reuse the bowl of your old head.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

gimme,
Hi and welcome to the forum.  There's tons of great info here.  This thread describes what I did to my hold tank vent starting at Reply 17. 
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6861.15.html

I agree with others who suggest changing hoses before you attack the holding tank.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

efhughes3

Hi, and welcome from another SD C34 owner! We are at SDYC.

Lots of good advice and knowledgable folks here. Work thru this cruddy job methodically, and it may be easier than you think.

One of these days this year, we should try to get a group of us together.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ralph Masters

Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : You've got enough C34s to form a San Diego Fleet - go for it!!
Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

Hi Ralph. A SD 34 fleet is a great idea, but at the very least you should join the San Diego Catalina Association, http://sdcatalinaassoc.com/. A great group!
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA