Aqua muffler too expensive

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

I have to replace my muffler.  Does anyone have an alternative to Catalina direct?  There up to $374.00 plus the cost of the petcock.

Can you still get them from the Catalina Factory in  Woodland Hills? If so do you have to go custom? I need it before the two weeks they take for custom.

Doug and Donna #171

sailingdolphin

I guess I will bite the bullet and go with Catalina Direct.
Doug and Donna #171

Ron Hill

Doug : You need to call Catalina parts (factory) and ask if they still make mufflers??

Why do you need a new muffler?  There isn't that much to a muffler and hard to believe that you can't repair the one you have?

A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

sailingdolphin

My fiberglass tube is so tweaked, the hump hose one, I would have to glass in a new one.  Being the original I thought I might as well replace it.  The tube is cracked and mushy and coming apart.  I think it was screwed up from the beginning.  I repaired it about 5 years ago but it is just started leaking again I tried to repair again but it's to far gone.  I am going to repl ace my exhaust hose at the same time.  I have already done the hump hose and the new stainless  exhaust from the factory.
Doug and Donna #171

learjetzz

I would suggest your local vo-tech (high school) some are just starting their primary body shop classes. Or contact your local EAA chapter Experimental Aircraft Association they may also have hands or seminars I know I instructe one every so often. Local Yacht clubs have lots of talent there and can direct you for a great result cheap maybe beer and pizzia.
Good Luck  :D

Stu Jackson

Don't know if you've seen this:

What's In Your Muffler?

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6728.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdolphin

I am trying to get the outlet tube to clear the ceiling.  If I dremel off about a quarter inch off the tube it will clear.  Do you think its a problem to do the same with the new one? 

Any other suggestions?

Also Catalina direct says there's is 14 1/4 and mine is 14" will that present a problem?

After I took all 4 screws out it wouldn't budge it was completely gel coated in.  I had to take a hammer and screwdriver to break it loose.
Doug and Donna #171

Ron Hill

Doug : i've got my old usable muffler in the attic - that's the good news. 
The bad news is I'm out sailing and won't be back home for a month!!
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I believe Vetus has aftermarket aqua mufflers.  Don't know if it will work but worth a try to contact them.

http://www.vetusmarine.com/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Analgesic

A few years back I replaced mine with a Centek Vernalift-easy installation and I recall it was cheaper than the Catalina, not sure how prices compare today but it has worked flawlessley for years. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

foobie

I was just looking at the Centek Vernalift as my factory exhaust is leaking and I am not inspired to repair it vs. fix it for good... Do you recall which model you got? 2" side-in,top out or top-in, top-out? 

Thanks!

Steve
Steve Eckfield

Stu Jackson

Steve, I, too, have looked at the Vernalift units.  They do make ones with 1 5/8" inlets and outlets to match the existing hoses.  IIRC, they also do NOT have drain plugs, but you could always add one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Gary

I have installed a Vetus Waterlift Muffler. Very easy to install and very easy to replace. it does have a drain plug. Has worked perfectly the last five years.  I do not have the muffler number here at home but can retrieve it from the information sheet on the boat if needed. Priced much lower than the original fiberglass muffler and much easier to remove as well as allowing more working access space ......

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=120575&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_11694&type=pla

Gary

Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Gary,

Good selection, thanks for the link and the specifics on the model type.  I was thinking about the black "can" ones Vetus also sells.

Ron Hill

Guys : As I written before, just make sure that the muffler you get has some volume. The MK I exhaust system has a 17 foot exhaust hose and when you shut off the motor "where does that exhaust water flow to"??   Some goes out the exhaust port and some flows back into the muffler.

Maybe that's why Gerry Douglas installed such a large muffler!??!  Anyway a few thoughts to think about!!
Ron, Apache #788