running rigging on my "new" 1990

Previous topic - Next topic

hump180

Hey everyone, I spent 12 hours today going through and rigging my "new" boat (1990.) I have never rigged a boat before and shemfully not paid attention to running rigging when I have been sailing. The standing rigging is installed but I am having trouble with running. We have ran the main sheet and main halyard on the starboard side. In the manual we have it says the 3 blocks on the port side are Starboard jib halyard, port jib halyard and spinnaker halyard. I am getting confused and wondering if anyone could share how they ran their lines?? Any pics?? I also discovered that there were no jibs cars/blocks which I assume I have to have to install the head sail. Does anyone know where to purchase the jib cars/size?? West Marine??

Thanks, Bill
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Pictures, but you've found the manual, so work from there.  The complexity of the running rigging is first dictated by the number of blocks you have on your deck organizers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Bill,

I don't have the manual in front of me, but this is how my 1990 is rigged.  Starting on the port side.  Port outboard, back up jib halyard.  Port inboard (Jib/geonoa) halyard.  Starboard inboard (in jam cleat) main sheet, stbd outboard main halyard.

If you have more than two (jam cleats/sheet blocks) per side then previous owners have modified it.  If that is the case then you need to trace the lines and figure out what goes where ( Maybe this was your original question).  As a general rule, since most are right handed.  Lines/sheets that are used alot are run to the stbd side.  Jib/genoa/reef lines that are set once or occasionally are usually on the port side.  The Owners Manual is a good start.  If you don't have a print copy, look at the "manuals" section, left side of the home page....www.c34.org

We have all been in your boat shoes.  Please add your hull number and location to your signature.  Instructions should be posted in a sticky at the top of the message board.  If not search for "identification" (just reposted to the top of the MB)     All are happy to help, but it's up to you to point us in the right direction.   So much easier to wander down the dock with a (coffee/happy hour) drink than to compose the text to describe the routing of a standard or non standard main sheet!!!!!

I forgot to say in my opening line, welcome....yes you are!  I'm sitting here waiting for Hanna to arrive on my back porch.  The hurricane party is winding down.  Hope this makes sense in the morning.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

A search on sheetstoppers will get you to lots of discussion on running rigging per your question.

The first link that shows on that search is this one:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=541.0

The Mark Is and Mark IIs are somewhat different, but not that much.  Much has to do with what you want coming back.  I left both of my jib halyards at the mast, and ran a new Cunningham back in their place.  I have a stacked jib organizer as you've seen from the photos.

Welcome aboard.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

hump180

Thanks guys, it is coming together now. We ran what we could out of the manual and now we are slowly figuring out the best place for the remaining lines. Two fourteen hour days working on the boat so far and I really don't want to leave at night to go home; maybe that is good sign!! Unfortunately there are responsibilities at home also.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Bill : If you look on our web site for the Owners Manual, I believe that there's a page on the factory recommended routing of the running rigging!!
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

I know this is an old post and I certainly don't have a "new" 1990.  However, I like the original posters question.  It would also be fun to see some pictures as well.
I'm changing some things with my running rigging and trying to figure a way to get my rigid Vang line and my Outhaul all led back aft. 
Stu - I noticed in your picture that your deck organizer(s) are stacked.  I was not certain I could stack a double on top of my triple sheave.  I thought I had to go out and buy a double stacked triple sheave.  Anything special I should know about placing another organizer on top of my existing?

Also I would love to see some pics of others rigging arrangements.  I'll try to post o couple of mine up here as well. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on August 20, 2012, 02:49:38 PM
Stu - I noticed in your picture that your deck organizer(s) are stacked.  I was not certain I could stack a double on top of my triple sheave.  I thought I had to go out and buy a double stacked triple sheave.  Anything special I should know about placing another organizer on top of my existing?

Kevin,  you can stack anything you want, just get longer bolts!  :D  If your sheaves are old, try getting newer ball bearing sheaves from Garhauer.  We don't have our outhaul led back (since the darn thing hasn't moved since 1492! :D), but many skippers do.  Make a list.  As I mentioned before, I see no use whatsoever to run jib halyards aft.  Some do.  We keep a short line on the tack of the jib and use that to tension the luff when we unfurl the jib, rather than the halyard.  Your boat, your choice.  :D

Ron Hill

Kevin : If you look in this months Mainsheet tech notes, you'll see that I somewhat changed the routing aft.  I have the main sheet line, main haylard and the vang control line routed aft. 

Guess that you must have a loose footed main to want the "outhaul" routed aft?
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 20, 2012, 05:14:27 PM

Guess that you must have a loose footed main to want the "outhaul" routed aft?

NOT!

A "moveable" outhaul is a great thing to have.  I know Ray Irvine has one.  That's why he wins so many races.  :D

scotty

A lot depends on individual preference.  I brought the reefing lines aft because I wanted to reef from the cockpit.  (from port: jib halyard, reef/clew 2nd, reef/tack 2nd, topping lift..  from starboard:  main halyard, main sheet, reef/tack 1st, reef/clew 1st,.  I might bring the boom vang aft at some point.
Scotty

SailingJerry

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 20, 2012, 05:14:27 PM
Kevin : If you look in this months Mainsheet tech notes, you'll see that I somewhat changed the routing aft.  I have the main sheet line, main haylard and the vang control line routed aft.

I can't find this months Mainsheet tech notes online. Is it in the mainsheet magazine? BTW, I love the idea of more lines to the cockpit as I do a fair amount of singlehanding.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SailingJerry on August 31, 2012, 07:26:22 PM

I can't find this months Mainsheet tech notes online. Is it in the mainsheet magazine? BTW, I love the idea of more lines to the cockpit as I do a fair amount of singlehanding.

Jerry, Mainsheet magazine TNO updates are not done automatically, they require volunteers to do it.  Former Commodore Bob Kuba did them for a number of years, and, as you will note, they haven't been done for some time.

Volunteers anyone?

crieders

Gee I am 1022. Great boat. I just took a pencil and paper and traced out the lines as I wanted them. I added things such as a downhall on the main (cunningham?), line for rigid vang, single line reefing. I did not run the topping lift of outhaul to the cabin top but you can...a lot of lines for an old time racer. Is yours the tall rig? walk thru transom or swim platform?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022