cabin lighting fixtures for 1997 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I read through the postings and didn't find anything specific...have a 1997 catalina 34 with the frilight cabin fixtures.  have had 2 go out and looks like it's  not just a replace the bulb sort of thing (that would be too easy and cheap).  so, has anybody found a replacement part and number.  would actually prefer ro replace with LED but would be nice if there was something out there that was a perfect fit to the opening, which has a toggle on/off switch.  any input with a description for dummies very much appreciated.  thanks
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Roc

Randy,
You can replace the bulbs in the Frilight fixture. You just need to pry it out with a thin blade.  I also am trying to find LED replacement bulbs to fit.  The one I bought was too small in diameter to snap in, even though it was an MR16 size.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

captran

thanks for the reply.  so, how did you get access to the light bulb, as it looks lke it is inside a sealed lense, and it looked like it would break if you tried to open it.  and what bulb did you find and where? thanks for the help.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

capndon

Randy,

Try the SCAD Sensibulbs.  Just remove your current Halogen bulb and plug in the sensibulb.
Very easy, with great, warm light.  Draws next to nothing in current. Only drawback for some is
the lack of a lens type cover.  Not cheap, but the electrical savings are amazing. You can buy them here
http://www.sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=SEN10W or sometimes Defender.

Don
1998 #1390 Ragtop

captran

Would it be helpful to take it apart and post a pic?  on the back, there are two whitish nubs that don't look like they are a removable piece, and the lense cover doesn't move.  so I'm just trying to figure out access.  it is definately the bulb, as it went off after the light was turned on.  no corrosion, and I checked the power on the back of the unit and it's fine.  it may be a project for next year as we're out for the summer cruising.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Roc

Randy,
Get a small pen knife blade and pry the bulb right out of the fixture.  it's snapped in around the edges (you can see the detents in the molded fixture).  The bulb has two prongs that plug in.

captran

guess I need somebody to hold my hand... so here's a pic or 2.  one shows the back side and the other the lense side.  does it pry from the back, with the 2 nubs, or does the lense cover pry off?  thanks again for your combined experience
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

capndon

Randy,

See Roc's post directly above. Insert a thin blade between the plastic and the glass lens(front side of fixture)
With gentle pressure, the glass lens will come straight out---no twisting.

Hope this helps.

Don
1998 #1390 Ragtop

captran

yes, that helps clarify alot.  At the end of the cruise I'll take it home and see if I can match up the bulb.  Kent, from Catalina, also got back to me and sent me the following link for an entire fixture but If I can buy a bulb only, I am a typical buget minded sailor.  but here's the link he sent in case anyone else is interested.  http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2043
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

ozzie

I changed out most of our halogen light with led's that I found at Home Depot. I think they are 12volt MR16 bulbs and appox $10. each. I took one to the store as a sample.

Dave.

Roc

Ozzie
Do you have a picture of what you bought at Home Depot?  Did it fit (snap in) the Frilight fixture securely?

I'm interested in what you found.

captran

Thanks for the input.  I pried out the bulb.  it's the whole bulb, including the reflective cone, with 2 prongs that come out of the top of the cone.  and took out one that was working and tested it in the receptical and vice versa, so definately just the bulb.  if there is an LED light that works in the original fixture, that would be ideal, as the new led light and fixture Catalina referred me to are about 40 bucks, so comments on adapability of the frilight fixture working with led are appreciated.  I'm headed home and back to work with bulb in hand.  am also thinking about switching out the batrhroom and galley lights to led, as they are traditional round fixtures.  (I should have measured them.) are they 4 inch?
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Roc

Randy,
The Catalina Direct Frilight is a later model with a different bulb.  That fixture has a silver dome bult into the fixture, while the one you have (mine too) is a whole bulb that you pry out.  The Catalina Direct LED fits into the receptacle and the built in silver dome acts as the reflector.