Cheap but effective Sunshade that is very storm proof

Previous topic - Next topic

BobAthensGA

This summer was a hot one and it made my floating office hot even with the AC running all the time. We did one cheap thing that really helped out.
First we added a tarp over the boom. I didn't want a solid tarp because that blocks air flow and creates a greenhouse effect under the tarp. We used a mesh tarp that blocks about 70% of the sun out but allows airflow as well as it doesn't trap heat in. I also wanted one that didn't catch 100% of the wind when the 30 mph thunderstorms roll through. I wanted to leave them up all the time even if not at the marina. The tarp drapes over the lifelines and blocks the sun from hitting the deck or ports. This reduces the deck temperature by 30 degrees on the hottest of days. The difference from being able to sit on the deck under the tarp and not being able to walk barefoot on it. The real benefit is the interior cabin ceiling goes from around 100 degrees during our 90 plus degree days to the same as the inside temp set on the AC. Even if the room is comfortable sitting with a 100 degree ceiling over your head makes you hot.
We used a Harbor Freight 12x20 Mesh Tarp item 93625 $45. We tie a line from the mast to the topping lift to hold it above the boom and sail cover. The sides are draped over the lifelines. We will clip a carabineer to the life line at the corners and when we leave the boat down the sides. I like it draped OVER the lifelines and not tied to them so that you can duck down and move forward without having to step over or undo lines. On the foredeck we ran a line from the furler to the mast and used the 10x12 Item 96936 for $25. This helps keep the V-berth nice and shaded. To take all the temp measurement Harbor Freight sells a neat infrared Thermometer that has been handy with the engine and playing with the tarps. Be sure to Google harbor freight coupons before you order.
The local Harbor Freight is 2 miles from my office but 40 from the marina. I have been in numerous times to by tarps for dock mates at the marina. I have probably bought 15 of them so far and everybody seems to think they really help and they have held fast with only a few tie downs during some really bad storms.

Jim Hardesty

Been thinking about something like that myself.  The grey nonskid does get hot and it takes a long time for the AC to cool the interior once it gets hot.  A couple of questions.

How long does it take to put up?
How and where do you store it when sailing?

Pictures would be great.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

BobAthensGA

You have to figure out if you want it to hang exactly even on all sides or if you need to make adjustments. For example, the mornings are cooler and I like for the companion way to be open but the morning sun shines right on the icebox.  Based on how our boat sits in the slip  my shade cover is skewed to port to reduce companionway sun. Once you have all this figured out you know exactly where to clip the carabineer, tie the line etc. I have red carabineers for port and green for starboard which makes quickly identifying which side is which. Walmart has a cheap selection over near automotive. I use the small 1 inch size. Use the carabineers more to make it quick and fast versus tying  a taunt line hitch or 2 halve hitch each time. As a Scoutmaster of 20 years it was hard to go with the carabineer but it makes it faster. I also marked the forward center point with a piece of string tied into the weave.
I store it in a wadded ball in the aft berth or it is easy to stuff into a sail bag and into the Laz. Setup time for both is about 10-15 min at most once you have it all figured out. If you focused could probably take less time. I find that I will put them up at anchor even if for just a few hours.  I'll work on getting some pictures next weekend. 

Ron Hill

Bob : If you look in projects you'll see that I wrote up an article(w/picture) on my summer cover.

It's essentially a boom tent that goes over the mainsail cover on the boom, covers the top life line and goes to the mid point between the top & bottom life lines.  It is made out of a material call Oddisy which is lighter in weight than Sunbrella.

I haven't measured, but I'd guess it drops the inside cabin temp 15 degress when it's on.  It covers and protects most of the teak and the dodger when it's up. The first one lasted 14 years until the UV finally ate up the material.  With the old one as a pattern I made a new one out of Oddesy III.

Any boom tent that you can make will keep the UV from the teak, also the dodger thread and keep the inside MANY degress cooler.  You really need elastic tie downs to hold the "tent" in place in a T-storm!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Lynn and Larry Pardey (you remember those folks, right?)  did a writeup in one of their multiple cruising books about taking a 3 x 6 piece of canvas and moving it around during the day.  Didn't do much for their deck temperature, but kept the  sun off.   :D  From what I've read here recently, painting your deck from gray to tan saves lots of degrees, Fahrenheit or Celsius.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Every time I think that we paid extra $ for a deck color other than WHITE, I kick my self in the A__ (stern).!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Interestingly enough, there is a white C34 here in The Bay area.  It's got subtle green trim and a green dodger and mainsail cover.

Oddly enough, it looks kinda "bare" and "missing something."  Like someone forgot something in the factory before it came out the door.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Les Luzar

I love my tan non-skid. Everytime I leave my boat for the weekend, I take one last look at her and fall in love all over again! :D
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Stu : What the Catalina salesman didn't tell the customer (when they were selling a colored deck) - was that all of the "cheap looking"  Bristols, Aldens and the Hinkleys all have white decks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron Hill

Guess that's why those boat generally have white canvas??
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Bought the 10*12 for the foredeck to check it out.  It was full sunshine when I put it up, yes it made a big differance.
So, I got a 8*10 cut to 10*5 and hung it from the aft end of my bimmini.  My boat faces east in my slip and the slow setting sun this time of year makes the cockpit a bit unconfortable for sundowners.  Works well, just enough to shade, lets breeze through, and you can see through.  So far the unfinished seam looks OK, maybe I'll run a bead of black silicon caulk to keep it from undoing.
Just thought that everyone here would like to know that I'll be more confortable for the last sundowners of the season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA