New Projects Completed

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Completed two of the easiest projects yesterday that I have undertaken so far.  Remove and replace the speed sensor and the joker valve.
The speed sensor on my 87 is under the V-berth to port of center line.  Popped the old one out and jammed the new one in and only had about an inch of water in the bilge.  The hardest part was snipping all the wire ties on the old wire.
For the joke valve, since I had the wet vac out I sucked all the water out of the toilet bowl that runs back due to the leaky old joker valve.  Undid the two hose clamps, two screws and out came the old in went the new and disinfect and clean up.
Really the hardest part of the two projects was convincing the admiral the boat was not going to sink when I pulled out the old speed sensor.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

noworries

I still have to find where my speed sensor is supposed to go.  Maybe I'll look up in the vberth next week. 
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

nw, most have reported them under the V berth.  Some have reported them further aft nearer the mast, but few.  Happy hunting, follow the wire...

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

There are a number of the older MKIs that have depth and knot log transduceres just fwd of the mast on the starboard side.  Mine is like that.

I suspect that the dealer put the thru hulls there because there was no limber hole in the Vberth bulkhead.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

efhughes3

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 01, 2012, 12:39:39 PM
There are a number of the older MKIs that have depth and knot log transduceres just fwd of the mast on the starboard side.  Mine is like that.

I suspect that the dealer put the thru hulls there because there was no limber hole in the Vberth bulkhead.

A thought

That is precisely where mine is.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

TonyP

NW
Ours are in the v-berth cabin below the removable floor board panel on the centre line between the bulkhead and the bed storage compartment.
As our hull numbers are so close your should be the same maybe.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ron Hill

Tony : As I mentioned the thru hulls are DEALER INSTALLED - they were not done at the factory! 
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

OH OH  :shock: :shock:
Mine is located on the starboard side AFT of the mast.  I like it there since it is very serviceable and I frequently pull it out and replace it with the plug if I'm not going to sail for awhile.  It also makes it much less of a messy situation since the water goes directly into the bilge.
On another note... Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having the knotlog located forward in the Berth or aft of the mast?  Or does it really make any difference?   :abd: 

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

TonyP

Wow ... thanx Ron ... would have thought would have been a basic addition  :and:

cheers matee
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

patrice

Hi,
Mine too is located under thé starboard settee by thé mast.
Thé boat was put in water with thé plug in place, I've been too chicken to replace thé log in thé water.
But reading différent poste saying that you take it out and replace it often, i'll try it soon.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ralph Masters

The only problem of replacing it if it is under the v-berth is getting to it.  Weird angle to get in to.
The other thing is have the replacement in hand, ready to shove in.  I'd say maybe a gallon of water at the most.  When I vacuumed it up with the wet vac there was only about 3 inches in the bottom of the vac canister.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Mine is also forward of the mast, starboard side. This must be common for the late 80's vintage.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

Does it really make any difference if the transducer is placed further forward or aft?  I guess I'm wondering why the factory would not have placed them more amidships making them accessable.  Is accuracy an issue?  or was it a cost factor.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

The manufacturer, Datamarine, only states that the speed wheel has two requirements for installation.  One ease of access to service, and two, not be aft of the midships of the craft.  This is due to the boundary layer of water immediately adjacent  to the hull.  It seems that layer of water starts moving with the hull and gives false reading the further aft you go.  So the speed wheel should be far enough forward to be out of that boundary layer, but not so far as to come out of the water with up and down hull movement, such as a faster power craft the bow comes out of the water on acceleration.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

scotty

Mine is located under the aft cabin (near the propeller shaft).  I wonder if that is why it so seldom works (it reads 00.0).  It is easy to clean, but the location is so hard to get to that I often just do without.  After I clean it, it works for a short while then zeros again.
Scotty