Cleaning cockpit cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

It's been about 5 weeks since sailing my boat back from Lake Huron to Green Bay with two days of solid rain, 48 degree water, 50 degree air, winds 25kts G 35-40Kts and seas to match.

Well, my cockpit cushions became soaked.  I don't know is they have totally dried out yet.  I don't know how old they are but when I went to the local shop and asked them to order closed cell foam for them, they said it isn't available.  Only some quick draining foam is.  Does anyone have a source for closed cell foam for cockpit cushions?

Thanks in advance
Steve

visit us at:  www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Stephen Butler

We went through this drill last summer.  Our older cushions are in excellent shape, but soak up water and take 2 to 3 days to completely dry out, after the covers are unsipped and the foam pulled.  So, we went looking for some replacement foam and/or a spray-on sealer for the inside of the vinyl.  We got samples of closed cell foam and quick draining foam from a marine canvas store.  The closed cell foam was very hard and not at all comfortable, while the quick draining foam was comfortable, but we would have to deal with some wetness.  We are now looking at molded BottomSiders with terry-cloth covers.  Hope this of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023